Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My friend gave me his 97' TJ 4 Cyl, told me it runs fine just needs some love.

On Sunday I went to the lot it was stored at and did the following:
-Siphoned out the old gas
-Put in new 87 gas (About 4 gallons)
-Changed the oil
-Changed the Oil filter
-Topped off power steering fluid
-Topped off tire pressure
-My friend replaced the spark plugs two years ago
-Replaced the Battery

So, I drove it around the block a few times and it was great. A few oddities but I think that's just because it was idle for so long:

-Even when not moving, the jeep seems to rev on it's own. Not sure if it's choking for air, or gas, or anything like that.
-The radiator is leaking, so I've only been using distilled water until I get it replaced. (Replacement is here, just have to do it)

So yesterday I went to the DMV (California) and got a 30 day permit to drive it.

Went and picked her up, topped off the water, and drove while paying attention to the Engine Temp Gauge. All was good! I got on the highway and was going around 45 in the slow lane (didn't want to stress it out too much) and I went to 55 and got the death shake as I think it's called. Truly terrifying. Slowed down and it stopped but then all the gauges just stopped working, car was still working. Shifted gears and it was fine. Got off the highway and pulled over, opened the hood, and smoke.

Called my friend, he said "it's probably just all the old crap getting out since it's been still for so long"

Me, thinking he might be right, lets it cool off and drives it for another mile. During this drive I hear a loud repetitive flicking smacking noise, and the engine is now in high RPMs no matter what gear I'm in. I decide to pull over so I don't destroy the car. As I'm pulling over, car turns off completely.

Luckily, a stranger came by and said I needed water in my radiator, and went to his house right there and brought my 5 jugs. We waited for the engine to cool, opened the radiator and started pouring. Alas, all if it leaked right out. Another stranger came by and got under the car and it turns out the strap that holds the radiator hose to the engine came loose and that's the noise I was hearing.

We get the strap/clip, re attach the pipe, and fill the radiator with water. It won't turn over, it's trying, but it won't. Sounds like it's choking for gas, I know I have at least 3 gallons in but to be safe I walk to the gas station and fill up a 5 gallon jug, we put most of it in and feed some to the engine. Still nothing.

So AAA comes out and tests my battery, battery is fine so it's not the alternator. He gets under the car and goes to my started and tells me it sounds like my starter is dead.

I've just bought a new started and am ready to install it, just really hoping I didn't destroy anything. If anyone can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Car drives fine until this happened, I have a can of SeaFoam I wanted to use if the starter happens to work, wondering if it'll be of any help.

Thank you

Pic of my (hopefully not dead) baby from Sunday when we were tuning it up.

·
I always wanted a Jeep...
470 Posts
?

Hi all,

My friend gave me his 97' TJ 4 Cyl, told me it runs fine just needs some love.

On Sunday I went to the lot it was stored at and did the following:
-Siphoned out the old gas
-Put in new 87 gas (About 4 gallons)
-Changed the oil
-Changed the Oil filter
-Topped off power steering fluid
-Topped off tire pressure
-My friend replaced the spark plugs two years ago
-Replaced the Battery

So, I drove it around the block a few times and it was great. A few oddities but I think that's just because it was idle for so long:

-Even when not moving, the jeep seems to rev on it's own. Not sure if it's choking for air, or gas, or anything like that.
-The radiator is leaking, so I've only been using distilled water until I get it replaced. (Replacement is here, just have to do it)

So yesterday I went to the DMV (California) and got a 30 day permit to drive it.

Went and picked her up, topped off the water, and drove while paying attention to the Engine Temp Gauge. All was good! I got on the highway and was going around 45 in the slow lane (didn't want to stress it out too much) and I went to 55 and got the death shake as I think it's called. Truly terrifying. Slowed down and it stopped but then all the gauges just stopped working, car was still working. Shifted gears and it was fine. Got off the highway and pulled over, opened the hood, and smoke.

Called my friend, he said "it's probably just all the old crap getting out since it's been still for so long"

Me, thinking he might be right, lets it cool off and drives it for another mile. During this drive I hear a loud repetitive flicking smacking noise, and the engine is now in high RPMs no matter what gear I'm in. I decide to pull over so I don't destroy the car. As I'm pulling over, car turns off completely.

Luckily, a stranger came by and said I needed water in my radiator, and went to his house right there and brought my 5 jugs. We waited for the engine to cool, opened the radiator and started pouring. Alas, all if it leaked right out. Another stranger came by and got under the car and it turns out the strap that holds the radiator hose to the engine came loose and that's the noise I was hearing.

We get the strap/clip, re attach the pipe, and fill the radiator with water. It won't turn over, it's trying, but it won't. Sounds like it's choking for gas, I know I have at least 3 gallons in but to be safe I walk to the gas station and fill up a 5 gallon jug, we put most of it in and feed some to the engine. Still nothing.

So AAA comes out and tests my battery, battery is fine so it's not the alternator. He gets under the car and goes to my started and tells me it sounds like my starter is dead.

I've just bought a new started and am ready to install it, just really hoping I didn't destroy anything. If anyone can offer any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Car drives fine until this happened, I have a can of SeaFoam I wanted to use if the starter happens to work, wondering if it'll be of any help.

Thank you

Pic of my (hopefully not dead) baby from Sunday when we were tuning it up.

Wow that is quite the story.... Did you get the new starter installed? Does the engine crank over but just not start? I think we all need to know more info so we can help.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/smilies/beer-drinking.gif

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
No need to waste distilled water in the radiator, it's like a TV on your honeymoon, unnecessary.
When you replace the radiator, hoses and clamps, you need to refill the system with 50/50 antifreeze/water.

Good luck with your new Jeep.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts