Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sister is convinced she needs to put a 20" wheel on her new jeep. I am assuming I need to lift it, so my questions are these?
How much lift?
What backspace?
How big of a tire?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
No lift needed depending on tire size.
4.5 backspacing or less
33's will fit without any mods. (You'll have to do your own research for what size tire though...there isnt much threads in the wf archive for 20" tire sizes.)

Side note: 20's??
-not recommended
-very heavy (not meant for jeeps...more strain on components)
-Expect a heftier price on wheels/tires
-expect to lose that offroad status (those 20's will get banged up really quick offroad)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Tell her I'll buy/trader her Oscar Mike rims! ;) Since she's getting 20s, she won't need them. :D

275/55-20 is close to stock height and a bit wider.
20x8 - 20x9 rim (4.5" rear spacing or less)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She isn't trying to make it a dub machine guys, they make a pretty good variety of off road tires now for 20" wheels since almost every factory truck has 20's...
After looking at some options I think 18's are a better choice for her, was just looking for some info on lift, backspace, etc..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey I just posted a set of 5 Procomp 35's tires with Fuel 20" wheels. On craigslist. If you are near the pacific northwet, i have the deal for her..

·
Registered
485 Posts
I can't think of many things more mis-matched than those 20's and a Rubicon.

Very little sidewall flex, very expensive tires, very expensive wheels. Basically, all show and no go. In other words, a poor match for a Jeep that is designed to claw its way through tough conditions with low gears, air down and conform to the terrain.

But if your goal is showing off in town, they may be just the ticket. Cool. Right on!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She isn't trying to build an offroad vehicle to do any climbing or serious off-roading... She wants something she drives to the work and looks good, and maybe does some minor mudding on the weekend..
If 20's seem to be out of the question, what about 18's?

·
Registered
421 Posts
If she wants 20" rims on her jeep, then she should have them. No lift needed. Lots of good looking A/T tires available. I had Cooper Zeon LTZ's on my 4wd Yukon in a 275/55/20 and they were great. Almost any chick in a jeep is a good thing anyway!:dance:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a bunch of haters when it comes to 20" rims, my thoughts, it's because they can't afford the big bill that comes with Big boy rims and tires!! The jeep comes stock with 18" rims so if your enlarging your tires to 35" or above I don't see the issue with enlarging your rims by 2". I did a 3.5" rough country lift, 4:56 gears (New front carrier and Procal to reprogram) and 20" hostage wheels (-44mm offset) with 35" Nitto trail grappler tires. Everything cost me just under $5400.00 (I did the lift myself) and I get nothing but compliments from everyone that sees it, especially Jeep owners. IT IS NOT a mall crawler, I off-road the shit out of this thing!!

ForumRunner_20130823_112330.jpg

ForumRunner_20130823_112308.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
and I get nothing but compliments from everyone that sees it, especially Jeep owners. IT IS NOT a mall crawler, I off-road the shit out of this thing!!

View attachment 289274

View attachment 289273
Of course...cus that's why we build 'em in the first place: to get *compliments* from everyone that see's them! NOT! That crap looks like the proverbial 3 dollar bill to the max! About as ghey as you can get, without spinners....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just a bunch of haters when it comes to 20" rims, my thoughts, it's because they can't afford the big bill that comes with Big boy rims and tires!! The jeep comes stock with 18" rims so if your enlarging your tires to 35" or above I don't see the issue with enlarging your rims by 2". I did a 3.5" rough country lift, 4:56 gears (New front carrier and Procal to reprogram) and 20" hostage wheels (-44mm offset) with 35" Nitto trail grappler tires. Everything cost me just under $5400.00 (I did the lift myself) and I get nothing but compliments from everyone that sees it, especially Jeep owners. IT IS NOT a mall crawler, I off-road the shit out of this thing!!

Maybe some of your thoughts are just silly & wrong :doh: And I don't think most of us are haters or broke around here..were talking 30K+ rigs :angel: I have no issues with 20's on something like a 40" tire, but 20's on 37's or smaller create a disadvantage off-road, but I'm sure you know this since you off-road the shit out of yours. I'm glad you get compliments.. I'm sure everyone is impressed with your rough country lift :confused::p You might be one heck of a nice guy, but you sure came off like an a-hole in this post :nonono:

·
Registered
25 Posts
^^ you're right because all of the people in these forums that bash 20's all day long are just angels. It's just like people who drive 2 doors that I see constantly bashing 4 doors, calling them grocery getters and soccer mom cars. I loved all jeeps before I saw that but I've realized not everyone in the Jeep community is nice to all jeep owners, just ones who agree with what they think. Th, Cj, jk, 4 door, 2 door, 15, 18, 20 inch rims, who cares. OP get what you like and thinks looks good, I was just showing you mine so you could get an idea, I didn't bash anyone's jeep like all the first few people did, but I'm the A-hole, funny!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nobody is an A-hole because they got 20" wheels....or anything else out of the ordinary on their Jeep...it's your vehicle and you have the right to do what you want. But there are many who feel the vehicle is an off-road rig and putting "bling" like 20" wheels on it, that serve no useful purpose and offer nothing except good bait for "compliments" is just plain ole dumb....do something that people perceive as "dumb" then you should be ready for them to exercise their right to be critical. Just need to grow some thicker skin if you are going to abominate a beautiful Jeep with monstrosities like those wheels....................................................8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
All the guys I off-road with have 15 & 16 inch rims with 35's and they have gone through any and everything they can to try and get my Jeep stuck because they said the same thing when I got my new rims and tires, not once have I been stuck or not been able to get through anything they have. I'm not rock crawling with full caged vehicles in insane territory, I'm Off-roading at difficult level off road parks. My skin is just fine by the way, I just find it funny that I'm the only one being singled out when ONCE AGAIN, I didn't bad mouth anyone, anyone's jeep or their decisions. The person asked about lift, clearance and backspace and got opinions and shit talking but no one said a word but everyone has something to say to me. What about the Di*k that said get 30's lower it and cut the fenders, or the other guy, tell her she had the wrong car for that??? How about you answer the fu*king question the guy asked so he can help his sister instead of talking crap and voicing your douschebag opinions that he DIDN'T ask for. Sorry but my respect for this forum and for jeep owners is getting worse and worse, I thought "it's a Jeep thing" but obviously "it's an as*hole thing".

·
Registered
227 Posts
Back on topic... 20's can be very nice on the correct tire but is she willing to put out the cash on some 37's or bigger? If you go to a smaller wheel, then maybe 17's or 15' would look nice with a big beefy side wall and more importanly function the way a proper wheel and tire combo should. I think she would get more respect/ compliments with a proper & functional wheel and tire package then just throwing on some 20's just for the sake of having 20's.

Jeeps arn't typically about the bling, rather they represent pure function by nature. If she has 5 to 8k to dump in a lift, tires, wheels, fenders, etc then I say go for it! Remind her this ain't a Hummer, but then again what do I know..just 1 guy and his opinions trying to keep th Jeep the way it was meant to be in my humble opinion. I see a lot of "Hits that Missed" so what's one more.

On a side note, its not so much what you run, but to me its about the attitude you bring to the table. Wheel what you got and choose to listen to those with years of experience or not...ain't my ass. Wish evryone the best!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.