Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help with answering a question for me.

Long story short, bent my front DV a while back and was having a shop re tube it for me.

I had my dad drop it off while i was at work as he gets a better deal through the company he always deals with. Well when talking with the shop he figured it needed to be a 1/2" longer to compensate for the 3.5" lift i have.

When i went to install it i could not get it to fit, compressed the splines as much as i could. It was out by maybe a 1/4" and thats all i needed to get it in. Thinking quickly at the time and not knowing that my dad asked for it to be a half inch longer all i did rather than fighting the diff was jack the rear end of my jeep up which gave me the 1/4" i needed to get it in.

Lower it back down and all seems good. Can rotate it the little bit that it allows and doesnt seem to be pushing on my transfer case or anything like that.

Will this though.. when the front diff drops it compresses the DV a bit. As i had it compressed as much as i could by hand which seemed to be all it would go im worried that when the front diff drops it will push against my t-case and cause damage.

Obviously trying to avoid spending the money an another re-tube to take out the half inch. Was thinking i could pull the DV apart and cut a 1/2" off the splines where it goes into the diff part of the DV which would allow it to compress that little bit more.

Any thoughts? should i zip disk off a half ince of splines as it appears to be fully compressed, will it be ok if i leave it? or should i take it out and have the tube cut own that 1/2".

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2000 TJ
Rubicon express 3.5" lift
Stock upper control arms but RE lowers
Sway bar disconnects (thi is where im worried if i remove these and my diff can fully extend will the DV push the T-case)

Thanks

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Actually, as your front suspension cycles down, the driveshaft needs to be shorter...the radius that your front axle swings on by your front control arms is much shorter than the radius of the much longer front drive shaft. Not sure if it's feasible to cut off the splines some or not...been a while since I saw my front drive shaft and how far the outer part of the slip corresponds to the splines, but either way, I would definitely get it shortened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for the info Water Dog

as i know when the front dif drops it will shorten my driveshaft, this is my concern.

Would a 1/2" longer driveshaft really make that big of a difference? the only issue i had was i had a tough time getting it back in on the diff side. hence why i jacked up the rear end which gave me that little bit and i just pulled the ujoint caps off then popped them back on when it was seated.

Pain in the ass to take this out again and spend the $$ to shorten by only a half inch. But if it is going to damaged my t-case then will definetly do it of course.

Thanks again

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
thanks for the info Water Dog

as i know when the front dif drops it will shorten my driveshaft, this is my concern.

Would a 1/2" longer driveshaft really make that big of a difference? the only issue i had was i had a tough time getting it back in on the diff side. hence why i jacked up the rear end which gave me that little bit and i just pulled the ujoint caps off then popped them back on when it was seated.

Pain in the ass to take this out again and spend the $$ to shorten by only a half inch. But if it is going to damaged my t-case then will definetly do it of course.

Thanks again
If it was hard to get in with the Jeeps weight on the suspension, it is too long, and you stand the chance of severely damaging or ruining your transfer case as your suspension cycles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Driveshaft coming out this weekend to retube. I am going to pull the diff side off the splines and see if i can shorten that as it appears to "bottom" out inside the diff end of Driveshaft as i can still see 3" of splines when i slide my boot cover up.

thanks for the info

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
Maybe the female end of the slip-joint where the splined shaft fits into it has been overly packed with grease. I can't imagine 1/2" added length making it so it wouldn't fit, especially with your 3.5" of suspension lift. Don't cut any length off yet, at least if it was truly only made 1/2" longer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Maybe the female end of the slip-joint where the splined shaft fits into it has been overly packed with grease. I can't imagine 1/2" added length making it so it wouldn't fit, especially with your 3.5" of suspension lift. Don't cut any length off yet, at least if it was truly only made 1/2" longer.
Not sure if all driveshafts have this but mine has a small hole in the cap that covers the splines that lets grease escape if it needs to as the driveshaft is compressed.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
It may let grease escape under enough pressure but not necessarily with a smaller amount of pressure like would be encountered with a test fit. Grease has a very high viscosity and it's not easily squeezed out without some force behind it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If it does need to be shortened, thats a much cheaper operation then retubing. They'll just cut one end loose on a lathe, remove a bit from the tube and weld it back together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. I never thought about it being overpacked with grease. Def something i will be looking at before getting it shortened. Will pull both pcs completely apart and do some measurments to see if the splines are actually bottoming out. I still do have 3"+ of splines viewable when i move the boot up. You would think that it would at least compress 1-2 more inches if this much spline is still showing. This would allow for the drop in my front end without pushing on the t-case.

Will check and update further. Thanks for the help everyone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts