Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at one to buy. Won't be a daily driver but will be driven on the freeway some. It has 33" mud tires and I'm not sure about the gears. It drives well and seems to be in good shape.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I like the 4 cyl for in town driving, it reminds me of my old underpowered Volkswagen that you really had to use the gears and keep the rpm's up. On the highway the 4 cyl gets along OK but it's just too much work to try to maintain a steady speed when you get over 60 mph. Head winds and hills are tough on it. The stock gears are 4.10's and with 33's 4th gear ends up close to what 5th gear is with stock tires so you will only use 5th on down hills or drafting semi trucks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like the 4 cyl for in town driving, it reminds me of my old underpowered Volkswagen that you really had to use the gears and keep the rpm's up. On the highway the 4 cyl gets along OK but it's just too much work to try to maintain a steady speed when you get over 60 mph. Head winds and hills are tough on it. The stock gears are 4.10's and with 33's 4th gear ends up close to what 5th gear is with stock tires so you will only use 5th on down hills or drafting semi trucks.
As I have a 4 cylinder Jeep and an Air Cooled VW, I know exactly what you mean.

However, I have a 3 Speed Auto, and it's a pig. It'll do 70, eventually.

·
Registered
59 Posts
As I have a 4 cylinder Jeep and an Air Cooled VW, I know exactly what you mean.

However, I have a 3 Speed Auto, and it's a pig. It'll do 70, eventually.
I also have a 3 speed auto, and it is so underpowered. I'll get it up to 65, but that's about it.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
if its an auto 4 cyl, walk away...

if its a manual then it'll be fine.

Autos come with 3.73 gears and manuals come with 4.10

I personally have a 2.5 manual with 4.88's and 35's. I can maintain 70 just fine on the highway until i hit a hill and then i'll need to downshift to 4th or even 3rd (mountains).

In town is great...highway is tolerable (i drove it with this setup 850 miles one way to visit my parents last year). Offroad is fantastic :)

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts