Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

need to replace my aternator in a 2000 TJ 2.5

will any 2.5 alternator work? i see autozone has different parts numbers for 97-99,00-02, and 03-06

on car-part.com , great spot to locate junk yard inventorys in your area, they have all tj alternators 2.5 and 4.0 as being interchangible? is this true?

autozone part numbers say that 00-02 dodge dakota 2wd 2.5 alternators are the same. part number (12106) in the 117 amp. anyone ever put the 136 amp into a tj? and would that work?

i want to buy a used one for 30-45 bucks, i have many salvage yards near me.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,121 Posts
Before you pay for a replacement alternator, are you absolutely 100% certain the old alternator is bad? Absolutely sure? The reason for the double-check on that is because #1 the TJ's alternator is pretty darned reliable and many other problems can mimic a bad alternator.

What symptom(s) point at the alternator being bad?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i just swapped an alternator on my 99 tj and its was a quick fix but the alternator is 133xxx miles old i lost power to my my gauges and misfired if you think its your alternator pull it off and bring it to an advanced autoparts store and they can test it to see if it is bad.
best of luck - Ty

·
Registered
21 Posts
also heard that a voltage regulator may cause bad alternator since they are external regulated by the the jeeps computer could be a bad ecu

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, my alternator is bad. Housing has a huge crack in it, and does not spin. When I bought the truck previous owner just cut the belt to get the drive around the lot.

I also a 97 tj Sahara 4.0 that I replace the alternator on.

I just need to know what alternator goes in my 2000 tj 2.5

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts