Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler months ago the gauges started to mess up, and i would have to hit the the dash board to get the gauges to work again, everyone thought it was electrical since the last owners really didn't know what they where doing when they started to mess around with the jeep so i let it go, then it started to see no bus, turn it off and turn it back on again it worked just fine, now when I start it up it will not start the first time have to let it sit for a few mins and then it will start right up, now the engine light wants to come on and doesn't go off. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same issue on my 1999 TJ. Dismantle the dash (just a few screws in obvious places), and clean off the connectors and re-apply dielectric grease to the contacts. The gauge cluster electrical connectors are not held together by clips, so they can slightly come apart.

That fixed my problem with the gauges, but I'm not entirely sure that your starting issue is related to that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i have the same problem on a 2000 tj with my dash, check engine light came on the code said it was a speed sensor so i changed it but it didnt work let me know if you get a solution for this problem please

·
Registered
1 Posts
me too : 2000 sport 4.0 auto - oil press, temp gauges sending bad info with simultaneous gauge warning lights . Dealer thinks it could be the pcm, but would not commit to diagnostics. very strange. Any thoughts?

·
Retired Moderator
102,601 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Inspect clean and replace any old dirty worn grounds. That is the first thing I check when any electrical system is acting up. Jeep TJs will let you know when the grounds need improvement. I use thick gauge amp wire amd ring terminals.. or just buy the short sections of pre-built battery wire at the parts store. Theyre in the section by the car batteries. Get them a little longer than you think as the store bought ones always seem short. Make sure you take a piece of sandpaper or a quick shot from a wire wheel on a drill. Then spray with brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and wipe off. Also wire wheel the bolt before reinstal. Bare metal is the goal. Install the new ground and then a quick shot from a rattle can of clear coat will help prevent corrosion on the raw metal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts