Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I had to take my 2000 TJ for inspection today and noticed the back up lights not working. Put in new bulbs and checked fuses and still nothing. I've read about a switch on the transmission but unclear how to proceed ...any advice?? Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is a relay on the tranny for reverse. It sends electrical power to the lights once shifted into reverse. That could have went out if you checked fuses. Electrical is a pain to diagnose. I don't have my Hanes manual with me. I'll go through it and see what i can find.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry for taking so long. Crazy work schedule right now. Since you didnt specify whether it is a manual or automatic I will give both locations. For the auto: there is a neutral start switch/back up light combo switch on the side of the tranny. You need to check the terminals for continuity when in reverse. When the vehicle is in reverse it should send power to the rear back up lights. It'll usually be on the driver's side. Near the tranny pan. There are torque specs and all that when replacing them. For a manual tranny it is also on the driver's side of the tranny. Close to the engine block. Has just the back up light switch. Again check for continuity when in reverse. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts