Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have my 2000 Jeep TJ I just bought in December. It came with a custom lift installed by the previous owner. Seems to be home fabricated with parts of other kits.

The problem I have is the lower ball joint in the Spicer Kit 706944X does not fit properly. Any suggestions? The upper I have not pressed in, was waiting to see what is going on.

I thought it was a stock axle, I could be wrong. Many aftermarket parts on the jeep.

The uppers I am replacing (due to death wobble) are adjustable.

Can anyone give me some idea of why my new lower ball joints are smaller in diameter than the ones I am replacing?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump steer is not that bad on it, only heavily curves roads cause me to drift around. I have a case of the death wobbles... drivers side front tire goes nuts if I dont accelerate just the right way. I'll try to get a better shit so maybe you can point out other things that I might not know about.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Not sure about the ball joint (are you sure you have the correct replacement parts?) But I do see a dropped pitman arm. If the track bar does not have a corresponding drop bracket, then the dropped pitman is likely causing bump steer. Usually best to go with the stock pitman.
^^This. The track bar does look like it is in the stock location and the track bar/drag link angles in the picture look terrible (even considering the picture angle). I would check the part #'s on the ball joints. The axle looks like a stock D30.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Here is a close up shot of the front end while nearly center.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hopefully these photos will help you guys help me. I only know some basics. I dont see a part number on the old ball joints.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How can I be sure the knuckle yoke is a stock dana 30 knuckle?
Could it have been wore out and a slightly larger one pressed in?

The new spicer ball joints just go right in without any friction.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Old and new ball joints.

Anyone know an exact micrometer reading of what the lower ball joint mating surface diameter should be?

·
Registered
721 Posts
XJ and TJ ball joints should be the same.

There's a mod to put WJ knuckles on a TJ and those ball joints would be different.
WJ Knuckle Swap Questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Maybe the calipers could tell you more of the story in that case, because I think that's the purpose of the mod.

Edit:
Reading some more and WJs use a 5x5 bolt pattern for lugs, so that would be a dead giveaway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Well it seems I have the stock 5x4.5 lug pattern...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But is it possible for the tj bearing and lugs to fit on the wj knuckle? I wish I had some micrometer readings on the two.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But that makes no sense, my calipers are single piston and look stock to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Just for peace of mind... these are the right parts for this Jeep?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Off topic but what grease fittings did you get for the lower ball joint? When I installed mine I got 90 degree fitting and sat to high and got broken off?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It looks like the one I removed had a grease fitting on top that had been broken off. The Spicer replacement has no fitting for the lower. You would have to use a needle type tip and go through the boot for future lube.

I couldn't imagine a fitting being right there. The u-joint is swingin around just a 1/4 inch away.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so I mic'd the new ball joints and they are in spec. My knuckle yoke is stock, but the lower hole is worn larger than stock specs. So I slowly TIG welded bumps around the new ball joint and machined the surface diameter down to 1.750 and its a tight fit. ******* fix done well until I am ready to build an axle.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Those TIG bumps you welded onto the ball joint aren't going to last very long at all. I saw your pic over on JF and you don't have nearly enough surface area from the TIG bumps. They'll wear down in nothing flat, ball joints see an enormous amount of stress.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So far I have gone a few hundred miles on the ball joint that I modified. Everything is holding up well.
Jerry, I dont think you read all of what I did. Those bumps, I welded all the way around in two rows. Didnt take pics because I was becoming pressed for time. After tig welding a bump, lightly grinding it down, move 1/4inch over to repeat all the way around. Then did another row just above it. Put it in a lathe and machined the surface to match the dimensions of the moog ball joint I pressed out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts