Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Wranglers,

I'm new to the forum (just posted on the new member thread) and wanted to ask for some advice...

My wife and I own a 2000 TJ (lovingly named Lucy) with the 2.5 four banger. Manual tranny, 89K original miles, garage kept, cosmetic upgrades only. Well....

Went out to start her day before yesterday and all heck broke loose. Sounded like a bucket of nuts and bolts were set loose under the hood. Had her towed to local Dodge/Jeep dealership and the prognosis.....catastrophic. Looking at blown engine (mechanic thinks it was the timing chain that let loose and then everything else gave up the ghost) and estimate for parts/labor is around $6K out the door.

So.....now I'm considering some other options. To be honest, I've never liked the four cylinder. Anemic power and although we only really use her as a "beach Jeep", it would be nice not to have to down shift in order to make it over the nearby bridge, LOL.

My wife and I have thought about it (and prayed about it) and we would like to consider doing an engine swap. I'm sure there are probably other threads that deal with this, and I apologize for my not taking the time to look thru all the threads in advance.

Just wanted to get a few opinions from folks who might have already gone this route. What would be involved with a swap to a 6 cylinder....and should I look at using at rebuilt 4.0 from Jeep or consider another option (i.e., V6)? What about the other parts that would need to be replaced besides tranny (i.e., suspension, transfer case, drive shaft, etc.)?

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest route, but I'm also not looking to be on an episode of "The Auto Firm".

Any general advice or guidance is greatly appreciated. I will monitor responses and reply with more details as needed.

Tim

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sounds terrible man. But well, as owner of a 6in line 4.0 2000 TJ, I would say its a good choice, over the 2.5.

But i think maybe you'll get more info about engine swap in the TJ Build Forum. immediately in the first page you'll find out about that. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Repost in General Discussion

Just realized that the Build section is for projects already underway...I've reposted in the General Discussion section...Sorry!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree on looking at the ending swap area and only would add that the dealer is not where I would suggest you want to be for this. Look for a local place with Jeep experience.

Reactions: Markrak

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Your BEST bet would be to swap in a cheap used 2.5, sell the jeep, and buy another with a 4.0....

Having a shop do a quality swap with anything other than the original engine will cost more than the jeep is worth....

Heck, you'd be cheaper to just give it away and buy a 4.0 jeep than pay to change that one over.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would suggest you replace your 2.5 with another 2.5. I went through the same as you with our "Skippy". after you check the site, you will find that engine swaps are not an easy thing. pretty much, buying another jeep with a 6 is easier and much less expensive than swapping out. I just got another recycled 2.5 and replaced mine. engine swaps, from 2.5 to 4.0, seem like a piece cake, but its a hard pill to swallow. good luck with ur "Lucy". if you decide to replace your engine, I got a recycled one with 112K from LKQ delivered to my door. $1000 total and its been humming along for 4 months now.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I would suggest you replace your 2.5 with another 2.5. I went through the same as you with our "Skippy". after you check the site, you will find that engine swaps are not an easy thing. pretty much, buying another jeep with a 6 is easier and much less expensive than swapping out. I just got another recycled 2.5 and replaced mine. engine swaps, from 2.5 to 4.0, seem like a piece cake, but its a hard pill to swallow. good luck with ur "Lucy". if you decide to replace your engine, I got a recycled one with 112K from LKQ delivered to my door. $1000 total and its been humming along for 4 months now.
I agree. A friend got a ATK reman 2.5L for $1300 (after taking the core back). You should should be able to do it closer to $3K total having it installed....call around.

Any other swap will be pushing $10K if you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A big part of your decision making process is how much you are willing to spend.

replace 2.5 from dealer ( a lot ! ) ... cheaper if you find a used 2.5 and an independent jeep mechanic ( plenty of them in Florida ! )

Swap to 4.0 - ( really a lot ! ).

Swap to a V8 ( LS or Hemi .... still more ).

What is your budget and desired goals for the swap ?

Reactions: trickydoc

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,446 Posts
A big part of your decision making process is how much you are willing to spend.

replace 2.5 from dealer ( a lot ! ) ... cheaper if you find a used 2.5 and an independent jeep mechanic ( plenty of them in Florida ! )

Swap to 4.0 - ( really a lot ! ).

Swap to a V8 ( LS or Hemi .... still more ).

What is your budget and desired goals for the swap ?
I agree. What all would you want out of it and what do you want to put into it. Also, how is the TJ setup now? Might need a regear depending. Also might have to look at the suspension setup due to the weight.

We can help though. I know we are not "close" but we are doing a V8 in a TJ now and doing 2 4BT's in a JK's. Would love to swap a 4BT in a TJ!

-Jason

·
Registered
158 Posts
We can help though. I know we are not "close" but we are doing a V8 in a TJ now and doing 2 4BT's in a JK's. Would love to swap a 4BT in a TJ!

-Jason
Cool on having a few swaps in progress !

What are the specs for the V8 in the TJ ( hemi or chevy ?, transmission ?, exhaust set up etc ... ). Are you using anybody's kit as a starter ? Feel free to share photos :)

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Cool on having a few swaps in progress !

What are the specs for the V8 in the TJ ( hemi or chevy ?, transmission ?, exhaust set up etc ... ). Are you using anybody's kit as a starter ? Feel free to share photos :)
OR maybe NOT hijack this thread..........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone who took the time to post great advice. I've been doing some research in my local area and I'm finding that what most of you have been saying is true! After factoring in all the other components that would have to be replaced/upgraded, we're looking at north of $10K for a 4.0 swap.
I found a reputable garage near me that can put in a rebuilt Jasper 2.5 (they are supposedly the only "certified" Jasper installer near me), rebuild the tranny and button up everything for between $4K and $5K. They've done a lot of Jeeps and come highly recommended. Given that my wife and I don't off-road in "Lucy" and basically use her for beach trips and kayak excursions, it makes more sense financially to go the 2.5 route. I'll just wait a few years and then buy me a bad-boy toy with some power!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If it were me I'd source a used engine.... I've never had any trouble finding one for under $500
I would swap it myself... would take less than 1 day.... If I had to pay someone I would expect to get it done for less than $800 labor... maybe a lot less.

Yes it's a used engine but it's also $3-4000 still in your pocket

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks to everyone who took the time to post great advice. I've been doing some research in my local area and I'm finding that what most of you have been saying is true! After factoring in all the other components that would have to be replaced/upgraded, we're looking at north of $10K for a 4.0 swap.
I found a reputable garage near me that can put in a rebuilt Jasper 2.5 (they are supposedly the only "certified" Jasper installer near me), rebuild the tranny and button up everything for between $4K and $5K. They've done a lot of Jeeps and come highly recommended. Given that my wife and I don't off-road in "Lucy" and basically use her for beach trips and kayak excursions, it makes more sense financially to go the 2.5 route. I'll just wait a few years and then buy me a bad-boy toy with some power!
Jasper would be better on resale then used - if you go the resale route later. Plus you could look into a regear too depending what you have with your current set up

·
Registered
158 Posts
OR maybe NOT hijack this thread..........
No hijack intended - but believe the OP would be interested in what goes on in different swaps , especially from someone who offers services as a certified WF vendor.

Reactions: info4tim

·
Registered
787 Posts
If it were me I'd source a used engine.... I've never had any trouble finding one for under $500
I would swap it myself... would take less than 1 day.... If I had to pay someone I would expect to get it done for less than $800 labor... maybe a lot less.

Yes it's a used engine but it's also $3-4000 still in your pocket
I agree with the $500 for a 4.0, but the 2.5's are getting harder to find and a good used one will be in the $1000 buck range. I hunted several months before dropping the hammer on the one I got. I ruled out the rebuilt engines after reading about all the problems and warrantee issues. wanted to rebuild my engine. but it was trashed too bad. My engine came with a 30 day no question ask, but I didn't have to use it. if this engine breaks, maybe I can rebuild it.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Hmmm. Maybe I've been messing up.... the last few 2.5's I've had I sold for $200 or so

1 - 20 of 20 Posts