Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So I picked up this 2000 Wrangler Sport in July with 89,000 miles on it. Since then I have been poking around on varies forums as I got starter with the maintenance. Since this is my first jeep, I plan to keep it stock for as long as possible. Mostly because it will be used as a daily driver while I finish up college but still want it capable for some mild wheeling on the weekends. Right now my attention is completely on maintenance. With that being said come the replacement of the pinion seals, front and rear were both leaking when I picked the jeep up. Next chance I got I ripped out the carpet, the back window was leaking and the smell was terrible. Then one free weekend I changed out all the fluids. Next I addressed the surface rust on the floor boards with some elbow grease and then so POR. I also replaced the rear window seal were it meets the tail gate but still seems to be a small leak.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Off-road vehicle

Here's the plan:
FRAME SURFACE RUST!!
Suspension
-Bilstien 5100 0"-2" lift
-H&R 1" sport spring
-JKS Quick disconnects
-Eventually adjustable control arms
Protection
-Steering box
-Rock Sliders
-Gas Tank Skid

This is just the start and I'm open for suggest. Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

I snapped this picture about a week ago. Biggest change is 31s!! It really changed the appearance of the jeep. I found some Rubicon wheels on craigslist for $100 for all 5. Got a deal on some all terrain tires and I'm loving the way it rides. I cut the front bumper and got some LED headlights(Long story). Also replaced the mirrors and back window hinges. Found another craigslist deal on a Tuffy console and put in an insta trunk. Not planning anything to major until winter break. I will try to get a better photo of how the jeep is siting next time a wash it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
View attachment 3352449
I snapped this picture about a week ago. Biggest change is 31s!! It really changed the appearance of the jeep. I found some Rubicon wheels on craigslist for $100 for all 5. Got a deal on some all terrain tires and I'm loving the way it rides. I cut the front bumper and got some LED headlights(Long story). Also replaced the mirrors and back window hinges. Found another craigslist deal on a Tuffy console and put in an insta trunk. Not planning anything to major until winter break. I will try to get a better photo of how the jeep is siting next time a wash it.
I also daily a 2000 TJ Sport, 5 speed. Definitely need to treat that frame rust but the Jeep looks pretty good. Top is also a bit faded, new paint job would make it look brand new haha. Keeping it stock is cool but eventually you're gonna find yourself buying parts you don't need :lmao:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Pick up this tool set today. I thought it was a good deal, and seem to have everything I needed. Plus I was in need for some tools when I am away at school.
Electronics Technology Router Wireless router

It was finally time to remove the rusted tow hitch. I had trouble moving the exhaust around to get to the bolts. So I ended up cutting off the end of the exhaust to make room for the socket and wrench. I also took off the back bumper while i was at it.
Tree Soil Grass Wood Plant

Also took a couple photos at the car wash today.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Transport

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Frame

Alright, here is what my winter break will be consisting of. I put in an order for Eastwood internal frame coating and their rust encapsulator. Once I make it back home after from finals I will begin to tackle this frame. I have a rough plan in my head about how I want approach it.

My plan is to take it in sections internal frame, front, middle/skid plate, and rear. Most likely the day I make it home, I plan to take off the bumper, fenders, sway bar, grill, and tires. Then I will flush the inside of the frame out and finish coating that before I start on the outside. The plan for the outside is to PREP, PREP, PREP, and coat it with the encapsulator.

Please let me know any suggest you guys would have on this project. This is my first time treating a frame. I really want to take my time with this and make sure its done right.

Here is what the rust looks like as of now.
Vehicle Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Car

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Tire Vehicle Bumper

Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

I'm getting ready for the 18 hour road trip I will make in a couple days. The battery terminals were pretty corroded, it was time to replace them along with the battery. I stumbled across a video on youtube, a DIY on replace the terminals and thought I would give it a shot (Redneck Garage was the channel I think). I picked up the terminals from amazon.
Magenta Transparency Material property Plastic

Vehicle Auto part Engine Machine

Also got a rugged ridge heavy duty tire carrier. It says it can hold up to a 35 but I don't plan on running anything bigger than a 33 (someday). I don't really like the look of the tire carriers, a dirtworx bumper is in the plans following the holidays.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Transport Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Well for starters I do believe I was able to catch the surface rust just in time on this frame:worthy:, unfortunately it just needs alot of grinding. With spending the past week alone on the rear end and other small projects. I have realized this project is going to take alot longer. And with the holidays as well as having to head back to school, I will be waiting to do the rest of the frame.

Here's a few shots of the frame after some grinding. I have POR-15 Metal prep on the frame right now. I will snap a few photos before I paint it. Tire Auto part Automotive tire Vehicle brake Vehicle

Auto part Tire Wheel Automotive wheel system Vehicle brake

Tire Automotive tire Floor Automotive wheel system Auto part

I have also picked up a few parts as I been working. I got a Warn Gas Tank skid to replace the rusted stock one, more grinding is the last thing I want to do. Also since the shocks where starting to rust, I just decide to replace them (good excuse). I found a Christmas deal on some Bilstien 5100 :bop:, I well be installing both these once the frame is finished.

Last but not least I found a brand new Rampage frame-less top on craigslist for a steal. So I figured why not. I hit the junk yard and found the soft top door surrounds, as long with some tow hooks, and I found an unrusted front sway bar. Since I had the sway bar off I picked up a new set of bushings and some quick disconnects. Here are some photos.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Got the frame painted today. I used eastwoods frame encapsulator than put a coat of POR-15 topcoat to finish it off. I'm happy with the way it came out, I will do the rest of the frame the same way(most likely after winter). Here are some photos.
Auto part Fender Vehicle brake Vehicle Brake

Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper

Auto part Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle brake Vehicle

Vehicle Auto part Car Suspension Wheel

·
Registered
98 TJ 4.0 Auto, 97 TJ 4.0 Manual, 98 TJ 2.5 Manual
613 Posts
Hello fellow Dakotan. I'm just to the North of you and your Jeep is looking nice and clean. If youd like to wheel sometime PM me...I'll be checking back in with your thread for updates!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That is pretty bad rust. Are there any spots that have completely rusted through? Mandatory is dropping the skid plate and cleaning and paint the surface area between the frame and plate.

i think you are doing about all you can do. Just don't get in a hurry and work on it a little at a time and don't lose your patience.

i have serious doubts about the effectiveness of the inside the frame treatments. If scaling is already inside the frame, I think it is a total waste of time and money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is pretty bad rust. Are there any spots that have completely rusted through? Mandatory is dropping the skid plate and cleaning and paint the surface area between the frame and plate.

i think you are doing about all you can do. Just don't get in a hurry and work on it a little at a time and don't lose your patience.

i have serious doubts about the effectiveness of the inside the frame treatments. If scaling is already inside the frame, I think it is a total waste of time and money.
Thank you for the comments everyone.

As from what I can tell there are no spots that have rusted completely through, who's to say what will be under that skid plate. The rear part of the frame was by-far the worst (most of it was hiding behind the tires). Before I started on the rear portion of the frame I must have flushed the frame about 5 different times, there was a sh** ton of rocks/ dirt left in the driveway. I did used about 2 cans of Eastwood internal frame coating but I do have my doubts about it has well. I really don't know how well it covered the inside of the frame (I guess we will find out).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice job, especially on the rear frame with the POR-15! Any reason why you picked the rust encapsulator vs the rust converter on the inside of the frame? I've got to do the same thing on my 2000 Sport. My rationale was that there was a high probability that 100% rust was on the bottom section of the frame, put it in a high spot on the frame and let it drain down. Not the best idea, but all I have been able to come up with so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Little update

So I found the H&R spring and Bilstein discussion on jeep forum and from the comments I read it seemed to be a pretty good combination for a daily driver. I wasn't looking to lift my jeep but I did want replace what I assume was a 17 year old suspension. So this was an ideal route for me and I am pleased with the out come.
Here are a few pictures:
ATTACH]3458769[/ATTACH]

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Tire

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts