Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some feedback on a 2000 TJ with 243,000 miles that I am considering purchasing. This is an automatic 4.0 6 cylinder that has recently had new springs and new steering gear installed.

The seller believes it is the original engine and transmission but reports that it runs well (other than a small oil drip, and let's be honest, what Jeep doesn't have a small oil drip), and has had regular oil changes in the last 5 years that he has owned it. Frame and body are primarily rust free.

This is going to be a 3rd vehicle, weekend driver that will not see a lot of miles and not go off road. I know these engines can last a long time when properly maintained but should the high mileage be a concern enough to deter me from purchasing? The last thing I want to do is buy this and have to sink another few thousand dollars into it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recommend test driving it to a mechanic and have them check it out a bit for piece of mind. Also, ask the seller it he has any maintenance records. Check Car fax report for any maintenance records. Plan on putting at least a thousand into it anyway for general maintenance items.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,528 Posts
Just another example of 4.0 reliability.
If the price is right and the frame isn't rusted out, go for it.
And yeah, the drip is probably the rear main, let'r drip. Lol
This is why the 4.0L lasts so long! Oil change every 3,000 miles? How about a quart of oil every 1,000 miles due to the rear main seal leak ;) Works great! Plus, you know, regular oil and filters change intervals!

-Rick

·
Registered
565 Posts
sounds just like the 2000 Sport that I paid the local boatyard $2000 for last spring

don't be afraid of high miles as long as it had regular maintenance done to it

·
Registered
881 Posts
How cheap is it? I wouldn't buy a jeep with almost 250k miles and expect it to be maintenance free. If you aren't able to do minor repairs yourself it could turn into a money pit, and the engine may last for several more years or it could go out next week.

·
Commercial Member
8,747 Posts
How cheap is it? I wouldn't buy a jeep with almost 250k miles and expect it to be maintenance free. If you aren't able to do minor repairs yourself it could turn into a money pit, and the engine may last for several more years or it could go out next week.
Exactly!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That's the main concern at this point, what is the asking price?

·
Registered
565 Posts
that can be said for any motor, no matter what the mileage it has on it.

but, the mileage and any other things such as fluid drips, rust, worn interior, etc., can be used to get the asking price down

for example, the one I bought had a leaky rear seal in the transmission and the PO thought the transmission was slipping and worn out..turns out they didn't know the proper way to check the fluid level and it was just low, so after a seal replacement and a fluid flush it runs as good as new

·
Administrator
12,647 Posts
In my book high miles jeeps come down to price vs risk. In this case it will be a 3rd vehicle for you, so no harm if it does down, you can fix it over time. I would see the transmission as the weak link with those miles on it, which is not that hard to rebuild or swap out for a lower mile unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.