Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some reason my jeep is running in 4wd...the handle is in the down position "2wd" and it remains in 4wd. i know this from the hopping and vibrations plus the fact you can see the front driveshaft spinning. this is only a recent problem and i have had the truck in 4wd about a month ago....and it was completely fine untill this morning....also my driverside front rotor was extremely hot and there is a slight rattle under the hood, not sure what it is or if it even connected....

·
Registered
892 Posts
its in 4WD even when you stop?
front shaft spinning doesnt mean its in 4WD. it would spin if its in 2WD too.
rotor hot = seized caliper. you either rebuild or replace it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive tried shifting into 4high and 4low then back to 2high and it remains in 4wd. i dont know what to do... i can just feel the truck pull as if in 4wd

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Your 4WD system is run by vacuum. There is a module on your front axle on the passenger side. You can run a vacuum test to that line, and if it's not go from there. If it is, than there is something wrong with the module on your axle. I would start with that instead of your transfer case.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Your 4WD system is run by vacuum. There is a module on your front axle on the passenger side. You can run a vacuum test to that line, and if it's not go from there. If it is, than there is something wrong with the module on your axle. I would start with that instead of your transfer case.
In YJ's yes... not in TJ's...

I'd imagine the OP's shift linkage needs adjusting.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
I guess I just assumed. The only newer vehicle I've worked on the 4x4 is my 1999 Ram, which is vacuum run.
Yup, even the newer (up to 2001?) Rams used a CAD axle like the YJ's. :D

But the TJ they dropped that though. The Ram's still had it for "fuel mileage" reasons... which was BS.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
By the original problem you describe I would say too that it is linkage. But when you say the drive shaft is turning...as said, it always turns unless you're stopped. The brake rotor gets hot when you've been on the brakes but both sides should be the same temp. If your jeep is pulling to one side it is not because it is in 4wd. Jack up the front and be sure both wheels turn freely. Then check your linkage. Good luck

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
for some reason my jeep is running in 4wd...the handle is in the down position "2wd" and it remains in 4wd. i know this from the hopping and vibrations plus the fact you can see the front driveshaft spinning. this is only a recent problem and i have had the truck in 4wd about a month ago....and it was completely fine untill this morning....also my driverside front rotor was extremely hot and there is a slight rattle under the hood, not sure what it is or if it even connected....
A stuck caliper would give you some bad handling, as will bad axle joints. Check those while your under there...brake pads can rattle and if bad enough, axle joints will too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i ****ed with the 4wd enough some how i got it back in 2high....idk what happened but whatever, it worked....so instead i bolted in the back seats, cleaned the intake, hooked up my keyless entry, and new brakes and rotors in the morning....thanks for the advice

·
Registered
442 Posts
have you tried backing up after putting it back in 2hi? I didnt have to do that with mine at first (even though most recommend doing it anyways) then one day it just would not come out of 4hi for anything. Backed up about 10ft and i can hear the transfer case disengage and all is good from there. From that point on i have to back up a little and sometimes even just shifting into reverse is enough to disengage it. Give it a try net time it wont come out of 4hi, cant hurt to try :wavey:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been having the same exact problem. Mine is a 2000 4.0L, and with these recent bombardment of snowstorms in CT, I would constantly go back and forth from 2WD and 4WD (on-the-fly between back road and highways). The problem being when I put in back in 2WD, it still feels like its in 4WD. There are times when it drastically pulls to the right but not all the time. The only "cure" that seems to work lately is coming to a complete stop (parked), shut the engine off, and pull the handle all the way up to 4Lo and back down to 2Hi. This is extremely inconvenient. Has anybody had the same problem and have a more reliable fix?

AtcoTrailsINC: have you tried backing up after putting it back in 2hi?
I never thought of doing that but might try it, the only issue being that would be hard to do when going from back road to highway

·
Registered
442 Posts
I never thought of doing that but might try it, the only issue being that would be hard to do when going from back road to highway

It can be a little tricky, are you really dealing with that much snow that its impossible to use 2hi? I only say this because i see so many people using 4hi when 2hi is really all they need but they have such a heavy foot they cant get going. When you do it try putting the trans in 2nd and just let off the break and let the jeep start rolling with no gas, then start applying gas gradually. Works every time and i get very little wheel spin in 2hi from a dead stop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It can be a little tricky, are you really dealing with that much snow that its impossible to use 2hi? I only say this because i see so many people using 4hi when 2hi is really all they need but they have such a heavy foot they cant get going. When you do it try putting the trans in 2nd and just let off the break and let the jeep start rolling with no gas, then start applying gas gradually. Works every time and i get very little wheel spin in 2hi from a dead stop.
Idk I guess I just feel a bit more in control when using 4Hi going up or down an unplowed or soon-to-be-plowed road. It feels like I have a higher chance of rear-wheel spin-out if I kept it in 2Hi on those type of roads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts