Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Tj 4 cylinder Auto Trans

OK you auto trans. gurus; 2000 TJ won't downshift to 1st gear when it comes to a stop & seems to start off in 3rd gear from stop. I know i dont have shift solenoids. I tride adjusting the TV cable by taking the white clip off and taking all the slack out of the cable and lining it up with the pin on the throttle lever. That did not work. I changed the fluid and filter with atf+4. That did not work. Fluid was not burnt. Magnet had the norm. No chunks. I have tried the hooking cables together then turn lights etc to reset capacitors also. It does not matter temperature. If I manually shift it it will downshift great, but it will not in drive. If I'm in drive and let's say I step on it then it will find first and take off fine. If I apply 75% or more throttle it will down shift to first. If not it always takes 3rd gear. I have 84,000 miles on it. Has anyone else had this issue? I am so baffled!!! Help:/

Page 1 of 1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. Great for the feedback. Thanks. I'm gonna be pulling the valve body down. I will be adjusting the band's both today also. I am just stumped man. I never wheeled my jeep. Was never submerged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got the VB down and out. How many check balls are suppose to be in there? I just want to make sure I didn't lose any.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I got the valve body apart and there was some sort of a rubber o ring that was pretty torn apart inside of the VB. I thought this was strange. It is orange. I have a piece of it I can take a photo. I inspected the balls and chambers all looks great and no damage. I did find something else though. The throttle on the side of the valve body (I think it's the throttle) it has a long way to go to hit the pin to push it into the VB.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks like a peice of permatex from when someone possibly sealed the pan. Probably little peices of it floating around in the valve body too.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
You have the classic symptoms of a shot governor. Time for a rebuild. With that 30RH, they are year specific when it comes to which parts are needed for the build and the best way is to send it in or take it to someone who knows what's up.

I went through this with another 2000 and there is nothing fun about pulling and installing the trans 5 different times because the rebuilder didn't understand just how year specific it was.

We finally threw in the towel and put another trans in it because we could never get the rebuilt one to work right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh she÷et. I'd like to pull her down. I can do that with trans in her right? I looked for a write up, but couldn't find one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoa. I adjusted the little pin inside the valve body and cleaned it up and put it back together and perfecto!!! Crazy... I wonder what it was though? The adjusting of the bands, that pin or the debri? If anyone else has thus issue I'd say I can walk them through it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
try resetting the computer(assuming its a 4spd) remove the positive and negative battery cables and hold them together for about a minute. Then reconnect as normal. Next turn ur key in the ignition switch but dont start the jeep. turn ur headlights ON and then turn them OFF and then turn the ignition key to OFF. Your adaptive memory should be flashed. This worked on my 2006 base model wrangler tj hope it works for you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts