Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2000 Wrangler the stereo, the wipers and the turn signals do not work when the vehicle runs.
However they will work if the key is in the acc. position.
Any idea how to correct this problem?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
You need a new ignition switch. It is attached to the back of the key cylinder & actuator pin assembly. Here is a link with a video. It is for replacing the actuator pin (which you should check when you have it apart) but the switch removal is part of the video.

Ignition switch video

·
Registered
23 Posts
On my 2000 Wrangler the stereo, the wipers and the turn signals do not work when the vehicle runs.
However they will work if the key is in the acc. position.
Any idea how to correct this problem?
I am having the same problems but only my radio doesnt work, the oher 2 work fine?? I replaced the ignition switch over the weekend and got the same results??

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I am having the same problems but only my radio doesnt work, the oher 2 work fine?? I replaced the ignition switch over the weekend and got the same results??
The contacts that go bad in the ignition control multiple things. If only the radio is out, it’s not the switch. Check the fuses. Check fuse 20 in the PDC & fuse 14 in the fuse block behind the glove box.

Edit: On the 2003 the only other thing on the ignition switch with the radio is the turn signals. Try them to see if it is switch related. The OP has a 2000 so the circuits are different.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The contacts that go bad in the ignition control multiple things. If only the radio is out, it’s not the switch. Check the fuses. Check fuse 20 in the PDC & fuse 14 in the fuse block behind the glove box.

Edit: On the 2003 the only other thing on the ignition switch with the radio is the turn signals. Try them to see if it is switch related. The OP has a 2000 so the circuits are different.
Will do, thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts

Dropped a 20A fuse in the #20 slot... And bam, radio works!!! Thx Rubi

Thanks. I bought the switch and hopefully make time this weekend. The video was a great help. I'll let you know.
It's a super easy install, 5 screws, 30 minutes. You'll be done!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am having the same problem in 2000 jeep TJ but with more things out.

parking brake light on
Air bag light on
turn signals don't work (they work when hazards are engaged)
radio doesn't work
Hvac doesn't work
Horn does work so not the clock spring
Jeep starts and runs

I replaced the ignition switch problem still exists. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
In the fuse block:

Fuse 7 (back up lights) & fuse 8 (HVAC) need power from the key when it is on.

Fuses 13, 14, & 15 (wipers, signals & radio) need power with the key on & in the acc position.

All get power from various contacts in the ignition switch. Check these fuses in the required key positions. If any or all fail go to the connector at the switch. Make sure all of the terminals are well seated & not pushed out losing contact.

Pay special attention to the black/orange wire at pin 4 (to fuses 5-8) & black/dark green one from pin 8 (to fuses 13-15).

Since it starts & runs the power wires to the switch must be good so I don’t think any of their fuses (8 & 14 in the PDC) are bad.

Get this figured out & the parking brake & airbag lights may be fixed in the process.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Spring, check something for me. Start the Jeep up, most likely you'll have the air bag and brake lamp lit up on the dash. Wiggle the key cylinder a tiny bit. Do the lights go off and now everything else works? Your problem is in the key cylinder/actuator/switch. It's hanging up and not letting the switch return fully to the run position.

Our is doing it, and I haven't had the time to check it out, but already have one each of the parts ready for replacement.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Good to know, Shelby & very interesting. It does look like everything that is ignition switch powered that is working uses the run-start contacts & everything that is not working uses the either run or run-acc contacts. If it is hanging up slightly in the start position that would explain a lot but I’m surprised that it doesn’t keep the started engaged although that uses yet another set of contacts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok I will work on that. It's a good thought. I can remove the key completely while the truck is running which I didn't really care about but if it is the source of my problems than I definitely do! Maybe someone forced the cylinder not knowing about the release button and screwed the cylinder up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts