Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to replace the cylinder head on my 2001 Wrangler 4.0. My Jeep has a cracked head so I'm replacing it with a reconditioned 2004 head. Anyway my question is : it looks almost impossible to get to the bottom intake/exhaust manifold bolts. My plan is to disconnect all the electrical connections, fuel line and unbolt the header pipe and remove the head with the exhaust and intake manifold attached. Anyone ever done this before? Is this the best plan of attack? Any info, tips appreciated.
Frogtown1

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thats how Ido it

Get yourself a Haynes manual at the parts store. The bolts in the intake and exhast manafolds connect to both manifolds. They have a specific order to unbolt them and re torque them back when you install them back. When you have a aluminum intake and a steel exhast manifold be carefull as you tighten them. Its the best twenty bucks you will spend. Hope that helps.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
it looks almost impossible to get to the bottom intake/exhaust manifold bolts.
You can get a socket using about a 6" or 8" extension on all of them. Here's a picture of their locations. You'll have to pull the steering pump/bracket. It's really not that terrible, there's only 4 you can't see, you just have to do it by feel.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Torque on bolts 1 thru 5 and 8 thru 11 is 23 ftlbs nos 6 & 7 is 17ftlbs these are most closest to firewall and one closest to the radiator bolts.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
...and don't forget to put the grounding strap back on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dad and I just replaced the head gasket on my 2000 TJ a couple weeks ago. The lower manifold bolts really are annoying to get to, but it can be done. We ended up using FaceTime on two iPhones and sticking a flashlight down there. That let us see what we were doing to get the socket seated properly. All told, only 5 of the bolts are really obnoxious.

I agree with the advice of grabbing the manual. It really helps having the torque/tightening sequences all in one place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I really appreciate the advise. I actually have a shop manual with all the torque values. I was thinking of just pulling the head and both intake and exhaust as one unit and removing & reattaching while on a work bench. Then reinstalling as one unit. But after hearing all the recommendations I will probably try to unbolt the intake and exhaust before removing the head. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts