Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A strange noise has surfaced from my manual transmission. It comes and goes frequently. I just replaced my rear engine seal and oil pan gasket, and 12 hours later this noise appeared.

1. Noise happens in two wheel, and 4 wheel drive.
2. Noise happens in forward and reverse.
3. Noise occurred with the clutch in, and out.
4. Noise happens when completely stopped, and engine turned off with clutch in.
5. Noise does not increase when clutch is in, and I increase rpm on engine.
6. while coasting down the mountain road in neutral, the noise occurred more frequently when hitting potholes.
7. Noise happened in two wheel drive doing 5 km/hour on highway coming up to a construction stop light.

I tested multiple scenarios, and it initially started while I was going up a mountain road. I pushed the clutch in, stopped the vehicle, and turned the engine off. The noise continued, and slowly spun down.

Initially I thought it was a problem with the rear bearing cap because. I Just did the rear engine seal. I torqued the bolts to 80ft/lbs so they should not have a problem. With the symptoms I have listed, I assume it is a problem with a shaft or bearing in the transmission that can continues to rotate while in neutral or clutch in.
I was able to drive home on the highway without the noise occurring.

I must note I replaced the pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing, throw out bearing sleeve, seal, and slave cylinder about a two months ago. I have new fluids in the transmission, and transfer case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's a bizarre sound. Have you tried draining the transmission fluid to see if there's any debris in there?
My tranny makes a similar noise while in gear, transfer case in neutral, and revving the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in the process of removing the transmission again to check the pilot and throw out bearing. Didn’t want to drain the fluid as I put the expensive stuff in there when I did my clutch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, the transmission is out again. I noticed that my throw out bearing had rotated inside it’s retaining clip. The bearing should be level/horizontal. I have no idea what would torque the bearing like that? I am unsure if that is the source of the noise. The pilot bearing looks fine, all the bearings are still in the cage.
I have posted pictures, and a few videos. Hopefully you guys can take a look before I put this all together again. I do not want to remove the tranny for a third time this summer.

My initial repair to the drive train was because the original throw out bearing imploded, cut a groove in the bearing retainer sleeve, and destroyed my slave cylinder. As you can see there are wear marks on the new sleeve. The new throw out bearing has a plastic inner tube that rides the sleeve. Should it make those marks that soon?

There is some play in my transfer case. Is that normal?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is it possible that the clutch is off center a bit and it's jerking the throw out bearing around? I don't know what else can yank that bearing out of position like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My guess would be either it wasn't seated properly on the fork in the beginning or it got knocked off when you re-installed it.I've never had one come off like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts