Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 Wrangler sport. On the bottom of the door it says Rubicon Edition. Looked underneath and it is a true Rubicon. But I can't find any info at all on them being out in 2001. Original owner says it came like that from the factory. Test model maybe? Seems like I found a unicorn.
Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
839 Posts
TJ Rubicon 1st appeared in 2003

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actual rubicon didnt debut until 2003.

when you say you looked underneath and its a real rubicon do you mean it has a d44 front and rear, air lockers, and a 4:1 transfer case?
Yes. It has everything and it all seems factory installed. I got it from a neighbor so I saw it the day he bought it new. Maybe I need to ask Jeep. A mystery I am happy to have.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just run the VIN number.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Anyone can swap stickers or parts and stickers

Show us a picture of the transfer case and the front differential

A non rubicon pcm would not be able to read the rubicon case position linear resistor or illuminate the locker lights in a rubicon cluster

And first rubicon specific pcm was 2003

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
It doesn’t have rubicon rock Guards, and they didn’t have sidesteps. Are the rear disc brakes? All three rubis I’ve owned were wired for a hardtop as well

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
I know for a fact my wife’s 2094 rubi which came with full doors and soft was not wired for a hardtop
I added one and bought the jeep wiring kit back when they were still available

It was wired for cruise control although no equipped with it

It also did not have skim

·
Registered
14 Posts
I thought it was odd the first one I had was an 04, it had Half doors and hardtop wiring. Both I have now, 03 with full doors and an 04 with full doors. Someone may have changed them on the first one. Every tj I’ve looked at with hardtop wiring had full doors

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
My '03 has full doors and no hardtop wiring. That may have been an option.

The differences that I know about are the external ones - the different flares, no step, sill guard and of course decals. The underneath - transfer case, axles, rear brakes, 16" wheels and the brake lines on the rear axle to accommodate the disc brakes. No ABS while the non-Rubis I think had it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will get under it to get some pics in the next couple of days. It is definitely a unique jeep with the options on it. Even has cruise control. Never seen that on a manual before. Thank you for the info!

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
Not unusual. I have it on my '03 with the NV3550. I don't know if it was an option on the YJ, neither of them had it, one manual and one auto (both purchased new). I had it added to my 1990 Dodge W250, but an after market add on. All they have to do is put a sensor on the clutch pedal to disconnect the cruise, just like they do when the brake pedal is pressed.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I will get under it to get some pics in the next couple of days. It is definitely a unique jeep with the options on it. Even has cruise control. Never seen that on a manual before. Thank you for the info!
Run the VIN using the link someone posted. This will tell you every option your Jeep came with, and it is FREE. Also, someone above asked for the 6th charachter of your VIN. This will determine Rubicon status as they had a unique identifier in the VIN.
There is a 0% chance you have a Rubicon given the year. But it sounds like you have a Jeep you are and can be proud of. Enjoy that, they are pretty awesome and I have loved every one I have had.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
839 Posts
<<<<<My 04 MT Rubicon had cruise control.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
It is very common for dealers to add stickers and wheels and stripes ect and run a promotion for their special xyz edition it also makes good money as they add a 200-300% to actual cost of their little local option package

·
Premium Member
9,289 Posts
While it most likely is not a true Rubicon, it is one that you have detailed knowledge of it's condition, history and care. And that is heads and shoulders above the average TJ on the market, including the Rubicons. I was very fortunate in that like your previous owner, my PO did not heavily modify the Jeep. Your half doors fit and match and add so much more to a small body Jeep (the TJ was the end of the line for those).

Finding an unmolested TJ is getting harder and harder to do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts