Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, First post and if it goes somewhere else please let me know.

I have replaced the blower motor, blower motor resistor, and fan switch.

Currently no matter which speed wire for the fan i plug into pin 2 of the 1-4 pins for the fan switch i get the blower to work.Example: 25% speed, 50% speed, 75% speed and 100% speed wire.... no matter which one is on the 50% blade coming out of fan switch the blower works at that speed.

leads me to think the resistor and blower motor are good to go. The switch is new and looked to be very new right before i replaced. The wiring diagram i found online is hard to decipher because the clown before me cut the wiring harnesses off and some of the colors dont add up.

What could be the problem cause the other switch levels to not work?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If the colors don’t match up it is probably because the diagram you found on the internet is not for your year jeep. The wiring changes most every year to some extent so you will not get accurate, if any, info without helping us with the specifics especially the year & in this case if it has a/c or not. Generally engine & transmission info is also good to post.

Since you have not given that info it is impossible to even guess what is wrong. I will guess you have a 1997 (or maybe a 1998) which are completely different than the diagram you posted. But no point getting into the circuit or possible causes without more info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2001 wrangler Sport. Has AC

Confirmed last night by tracing wires that everything seems to be wired up correctly

Did not see or feel any loose ground cables

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Sorry, don’t know how I missed the 2001 in your title.

Wow, that wiring is a mess.

I will look through it a bit more to see if I can figure it out but a few questions now. It looks like you have a/c.

If so, does it work, at least does the compressor engage when you turn the mode selector to one of the a/c positions?

Does the fan run like that even if the mode selector is off?

Does it work if you unplug the bottom wire from the 3 wires on the selector?

Is the connector in the last photo from the resistor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Connector in last photo is resistor.

I believe the compressor is trying to kick on but I feel like the AC pump isn't working. Was trying to get the fan switch/electrical figured out before diving into that.

The fan doesn't run if the mode selector is off.

If I unplug the bottom wire...(black wire) it does shut off

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I unplug the top wire... Light green wire at splice
... It continues to run as well.

I actually cannot figure out what the light green wire is or where it is coming from. Even on the diagram

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
OK good so far & it looks like the original wires from the resistor which appear to be on the speed switch in the 1st photo are the correct, same colors as in the diagram you posted. Note the light greed (2nd speed) changes color at C-205. That part may be cut off when the connector was removed & the 5 individual wires were attached directly.

It also looks like the non original wire on the speed switches’ single terminal (right in the photo) must be one of those going to the selector & probably to the middle of the 3. If so, the wires on the speed switch are on the wrong terminals. That wire is the grounding wire through the mode switch & appears to be on the 2nd speed terminal (C).

Here is the pin out diagram from the FSM. Match your wires on the speed switch to this & I bet you will have it working.
01 Speed.jpg

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The newer top wire on the mode switch looks to be connected to a light green OEM wire in the far right of the 2nd photo, the one I think you are referring to. That is the a/c select wire that goes to the PCM. The PCM uses that & inputs from the high & low pressure switches in the a/c lines to energize the compressor relay.

You don’t see that in your internet diagram because that is for the non a/c models. Note it says heater only at the top of the page.

Here is the one with a/c.
01 with a-c.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I switched the wires around on the speed switch and now I get blower setting 4 or high and not 1 2 3. With the resistor and the speed switch being new I'm thinking the problem may be the spliced wiring at the resistor. Possibly being backwards into the wiring harness for the resistor.

Now I am not getting the compressor to kick on at all either

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
High only in the 4 position and off in all the others.

I did remove the splicing today and confirmed it is wired correctly at the resistor.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Are you sure you have the speed switch wired correctly? It looks like you may have A & D reversed. The image I posted of the pin positions may be a mirror image if it is shown looking at the connector, not the switch, which is how I think it is. If so, you may also have to switch B & D if the speeds are not in the correct order.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts