Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forest Green TJ Sahara: 1.75 inch lift, 3 speed auto.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my rear main seal and oil pan seal...all fine.

Having an issue putting the exhaust back on. The two high connections (2 bolts each one with plates to match up). How snug should the exhaust be to the connecting pipes once the bolts are tight (or the plates be to each other when bolts tight)? I didnt look before I removed them. Do the two plates match up snug together once the bolts are tight?

Started the Jeep up and after a few mins there was a kind of burning/dirty smell on the left side (closer to where the exhaust attaches). Checked all cable and O2 sensors etc, nothing is rubbing or burning.

So was wondering if my connection of the exhaust wasn't snug/tight enough?

Any advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You could try re-seating the exhaust down pipes where it attaches to the flanges on the manifold. Loosen up the flange bolts, put a floor jack under the bend at the bottom where the pipe turns from vertical to horizontal. With one hand, position the down pipe where it sits good on the manifold and use the jack to hold it tight in that position. The Jack will hold it in place while you tighten the four flange bolts. The plates don't cinch up against each other. Tighten until they feel good and solid. You don't want to tighten so much, that the plates cave or the bolts snap. Just tight. Re-check the bolts after you have a few miles, just to make sure things have not loosened up again.

·
Registered
2001 Forest Green TJ Sahara: 1.75 inch lift, 3 speed auto.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. I re-seated it, used the jack to help and all seems fine now. The plates are tight but not cinched up to each other. Running for 2 days now, so far, so good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts