Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The Max tow rating on a TJ is 2000 pounds. The tow rating has nothing to do with the power that it has, but everything to do with the Jeep's short wheel base and stopping ability. It would be dangerous to tow 3000 pounds with a TJ.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The brakes and weight of the TJ will be the limiting factors when it comes to towing. I tow more than 2000 lbs with my TJ, but it is considerably heavier than a stock TJ and the brakes have been upgraded.

IMG_5227-1.jpg

Seriously. When are pictures going to start uploading properly?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
You must me on the other side of the world from me...your upside down. lol

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The brakes and weight of the TJ will be the limiting factors when it comes to towing. I tow more than 2000 lbs with my TJ, but it is considerably heavier than a stock TJ and the brakes have been upgraded.

Seriously. When are pictures going to start uploading properly?
Wheelbase

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Never had an issue with that. The short wheelbase does make maneuvering a trailer a breeze.
You dont get what I mean. Wheelbase is what determines the tow rating of a vehicle. That is why the LJ is rated for nearly twice the tow rating then a TJ.

What happens when you get in an accident towing more then your jeep is rated for?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Never had an issue with that. The short wheelbase does make maneuvering a trailer a breeze.
Sure a SWB makes maneuvering a trailer "a breeze" but that same SWB also makes it far more prone to a major accident if you have to turn and brake hard at the same time during an emergency maneuver.

Do an evasive emergency turn or swerve while you're on the brakes and the shorter the wheelbase, the more likely the trailer is to push the rear of the TJ out to the side and cause the tow rig/trailer to jackknife and likely roll over. Brake hard during a turn and you'll see where the term "the tail wagging the dog" came from. That's why the TJ's SWB wheelbase causes the low 2000 lb. safe tow limit, it's not due to a lack of engine or braking power... since that same engine and braking power is up to 3500 lbs. in the longer wheelbase LJ and 4,000 lbs for the XJ Cherokee.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts