Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to the wrangler forum, but I've been lurking for a good month. The atmosphere of this forum is fantastic and I'm glad to be here.

I've been looking at buying a wrangler for a few months now, but with a low budget it's been hard to find a cheap., semi low mileage, stock jeep. I've been looking for a 4.0 6l model, but a 2.5 just popped up and it's cheap. About 1.3k under kbb private sale.
For $7800 this is what I'd get: 2002 wrangler
60k miles
AC/heat
2.5 engine
5sp Manual
Half doors
New Soft top and windows
Faded fenders
Doesn't seem to have been off roaded

Seems good to me, but I couldn't live with it if it felt underpowered.
Should I break for this one or wait for a 4.0? It's about an hour away so I haven't seen it yet*

Looking forward to my long stay here at the lodge :)

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
i personally would not have any hesitation buying a 2.5 if its only purpose was wheeling. for the street you will want the 4.0 because it will certainly feel underpowered on the highway in stock form. however gears help with that sluggishness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i personally would not have any hesitation buying a 2.5 if its only purpose was wheeling. for the street you will want the 4.0 because it will certainly feel underpowered on the highway in stock form. however gears help with that sluggishness.
Alright I appreciate the response. Turns out it has a salvage title. However, the currently owner says they've had it for the last 5 years with no trouble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have almost the exact Jeep you describe even down to the mileage. It is a bit of a dog on the highway, but not terrible especially stock. Too bad about the title on that one. I probably wouldn't consider it either with the salvage title. I bought mine a few months ago for $9000. They would have to come off if their price considerably to offset the title. Just my two cents. Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
no way i'd come close to that asking price with a salvage title. honestly i wouldnt even make him an offer. his asking price is so high i wouldnt want to insult him with my offer. the most id pay for that jeep on a salvage title is 2500

1 - 7 of 7 Posts