Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm super interested in this Wrangler, but there's a reported accident. It doesn't seem serious at all and there seems to be no hood damage or bent fenders from the pictures. It could have been front bumper scrape and I right? I'll inspect the front closely when I go see it, but is it still worth looking into? I know most cars with accident reports are just avoided in general...

If you don't care to look at the CARFAX, this it what it says:
-08/17/2005
- Accident reported
- Involving front impact
- Involving a parked motor vehicle
- It hit a fixed object

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2dr SUV In Chantilly VA - Euro Auto Sport

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=CFL_0&vin=1J4FA49S02P726142#undefined

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Price is 10,000

So , the used car dealer wants 10,000 . I'd say price looks reasonable IF you have it evaluated by a genuinely knowledgeable and experienced skilled independent mechanic . What unknowns scare me the most are the title , electrical , the engine , and the transmission .:bop:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So , the used car dealer wants 10,000 . I'd say price looks reasonable IF you have it evaluated by a genuinely knowledgeable and experienced skilled independent mechanic . What unknowns scare me the most are the title , electrical , the engine , and the transmission .:bop:
I'll definitely make the sure engine is checked and everything else about the car, I'm just wondering if it's still worth looking at with the reported accident, because normally on a CARFAX it would say "Accident reported: vehicle not damaged" if there was no damage done. Maybe I could try to contact the 1 owner this car's had and he should be honest about it considering the car's not his problem anymore, but I'm just wondering if it's worth looking into… Everyone's always telling me to avoid cars with reported accidents, but is there really any reason to if there was little to no damage?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Fact of accident not necessarily bad

Well , the fact of an accident is not necessarily bad . You have a good idea to contact previous owner to determine what was repaired . However , the dealer cannot connect you with the previous owner if the dealer bought it at auction . Also , if the dealer bought it at auction , he paid maybe 25% of his asking price . So , if it checks out to be good mechanically and electrically , you might offer the dealer 50% of the asking price to see if he wants to sell . You might be able to pick it up for 5,000 . I would definitely try to get an extended warranty from u.s.a.a. if you have their insurance . However , I don't know of any other insurance company which would offer such an extended warranty . Best wishes .:bop:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well , the fact of an accident is not necessarily bad . You have a good idea to contact previous owner to determine what was repaired . However , the dealer cannot connect you with the previous owner if the dealer bought it at auction . Also , if the dealer bought it at auction , he paid maybe 25% of his asking price . So , if it checks out to be good mechanically and electrically , you might offer the dealer 50% of the asking price to see if he wants to sell . You might be able to pick it up for 5,000 . I would definitely try to get an extended warranty from u.s.a.a. if you have their insurance . However , I don't know of any other insurance company which would offer such an extended warranty . Best wishes .:bop:
Ok, thanks for the info! I have one more question though, why would he sell it to me for 50% off of the asking price just because it was bought at auction? I don't understand why they would do that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts