Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure out why the coolant level keeps dropping. I topped it off two days ago have only done short drives around town and the level has dropped 2 inches in the overflow tank. There are no noticeable wet spots or drips, the oil still looks brand new and there is no noticeable smell or condensation coming from the exhaust. I have never had any overheating and the heater blows very hot and works great.

Any ideas or advice for where it is going would be greatly appreciated.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,410 Posts

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
When my waterpump seals/gasket was going bad, it wouldn't drip on the garage floor, but I could see coolant on the engine block around the waterpump and on the lip of the oil pan. It wasn't easy to see without a bright flashlight.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the coolant isn't leaking out and collecting in a puddle underneath, it is likely exiting via a blown head gasket through the exhaust.

I'd use a test kit like is at https://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-Combustion-Leak-Tester/dp/B000NPDL76 after reading about how to test your coolant for exhaut gases at one of the articles at https://www.google.com/search?q=che...j69i57j0l4.57056j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I could test for this but the head gasket was just replaced about 11,000 miles ago when i had some engine work done so this didn't really seem like a possibility to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was poking around more and noticed if you take the cap off the radiator the coolant looks normal and clean but if you squeeze the upper radiator hose it what appears to be oil floats to the top. I'm starting to believe it is a head gasket. But it could also be a cracked head. Right?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I have a cracked head that is causing the issue I got a little flashlight and looked in the oil fill hole and saw little bubbles of coolant. Looks like my next break home from college I'll be throwing a new head on. What is the best place to get a new one I am thinking Clearwater cylinder heads any other places to look?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
1 - 6 of 6 Posts