Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a new Power Stop Z36 kit (KC2152-36) with Rotors, Pads and Calipers on my 2002 TJ Sport X today. Everything was going swell until I tried to move the brake line over to the new caliper on the driver's side. No matter how much tightening I did, brake fluid continued to leak from the banjo bolt. I've attached a couple of pictures showing the banjo bolt connected to my old caliper. On the passenger side, everything went ok (i.e. no leaks). Now on the divers side it's a different story.

I'm wondering if I'm missing a copper washer. I don't believe I needed one on the passenger side. Should there be a copper washer both on top of the banjo bolt and between the caliper and brake line?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'm installing a new Power Stop Z36 kit (KC2152-36) with Rotors, Pads and Calipers on my 2002 TJ Sport X today. Everything was going swell until I tried to move the brake line over to the new caliper on the driver's side. No matter how much tightening I did, brake fluid continued to leak from the banjo bolt. I've attached a couple of pictures showing the banjo bolt connected to my old caliper. On the passenger side, everything went ok (i.e. no leaks). Now on the divers side it's a different story.

I'm wondering if I'm missing a copper washer. I don't believe I needed one on the passenger side. Should there be a copper washer both on top of the banjo bolt and between the caliper and brake line?

Thanks for any help.

View attachment 4434308
View attachment 4434309
Yes and dont overtighten you will be pissed if you snap it. I am assuming u used the new bolt and washers. One on each side is correct. Use a washer on each side and if that doesnt cure it try the old bolt and washers and DO not overtighten.

Torque spec is only 23 ft lbs. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,574 Posts
Use a new copper washer on each end of fitting
Old ones get work hardened or can reanneal the washers as it is copper you heat and rapidly quench opposite of how you do steel where quenching hardens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A quick update on this thread. I purchased new copper 3/8" washers as these were not included with the Power Stop Calipers. I also appears the factory banjo bolt & brake line only had a single copper washer on top of bolt. Nevertheless I installed a new one on top and between the brake line and the caliper. Everything seemed to hold through the brake bleed and putting everything back together. Right before I went out for a road test, I pumped the brakes a few times and checked under all 4 tires for leakage. Unfortunately, the driver's side was leaking again right from beneath the banjo bolt. 😡 I'm going to try to replace the banjo bolt with 2 new copper washers as a next step in troubleshooting. I'm hoping it's not something with the caliper threads [see above photo of threads before I reinstalled the banjo bolt].

Appreciate any further thoughts from anyone. Cheers!

·
Registered
496 Posts
A quick update on this thread. I purchased new copper 3/8" washers as these were not included with the Power Stop Calipers. I also appears the factory banjo bolt & brake line only had a single copper washer on top of bolt. Nevertheless I installed a new one on top and between the brake line and the caliper. Everything seemed to hold through the brake bleed and putting everything back together. Right before I went out for a road test, I pumped the brakes a few times and checked under all 4 tires for leakage. Unfortunately, the driver's side was leaking again right from beneath the banjo bolt. I'm going to try to replace the banjo bolt with 2 new copper washers as a next step in troubleshooting. I'm hoping it's not something with the caliper threads [see above photo of threads before I reinstalled the banjo bolt].

Appreciate any further thoughts from anyone. Cheers!

View attachment 4434396
I am surprised the kit did not come with the correct # of washers. I just did my daughters WJ last weekend with their kit sans the calipers and it had everything included. Had the same issue with my JK last time I had to replace the brake line (son hit something ) and for some reason the first set of washers leaked but was good to go after the second pass. Hopefully you have the same luck

Would have been an opportune time to replace the lines as well

·
Registered
496 Posts
Are you certain the inner washer isnt still mated to the old caliper?

I am shocked it didnt leak without both there to begin with.

·
Premium Member
6,691 Posts
I had the brakes replaced on my '03 Rubicon last summer. I accumulated the parts intending to do it myself (Powerstop calipers, rotors and pads) but an issue during a Jeep run and let a local mechanic whom I know do the work. I had checked the parts beforehand and all the needed copper washers were there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Those copper washers aren't a torque once type of deal. You need to tighten them, loosen them an tighten them a few times to get them to seal with a banjo bolt. You can't just torque them and expect them not to leak. You have to deform the washer.
I actually will reuse the old washers as they seem to seal much better than going through the hassle of properly sealing a new washer. I have broken way too many banjo bolts with new washers trying to get them to seal. A proper torque with the old washers, and they don't leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts