Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference between a 2002 and a 2003 fuel tank? I can find fuel tanks for 1997-2002 fuel tanks, but 2003-2004 not so much.

They both hold 19 gallons and from the pics look similar.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
There are big/major differences between my previous '97 TJ's gas tank and my present '04, they're definitely not interchangeable. Are you saying the p/n for 1997 to 2002 is all the same and 2003 and newer is different? If that's the case, then you're going to have to stick with a newer tank.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I picked up a used tank for my daughter's 98 jeep, and the only difference I found was the vent hose was smaller on the new tank. On the old vent hose, the tank end is larger than the filler end. On the newer tank both ends were the same size. I ended up taking two vent hoses and cutting and splicing them to make one with both ends the same to make the tank fit.
I think the filler assembly is different and the hoses are different lengths but your old filler hose should be fine and you will probably have to buy a new vent hose for both years and splice your own to fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts