Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new jeep guy here. i just recently had my truck wrote off and now need new wheels. im interested in a 2003-2006 rubicon but know very little about them. im hoping you jeep expets can fill me in on the good , bad and everything in between. i will be daily driving it and doing moderate off road when i can. any opinions and experiences will be appreciated. what should i look for and look out for when looking at them? is there any common issues i can watch for?
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
210 Posts
Make sure the AC and heater works in all settings. Check for manifold leaks. RUST RUST RUST, underneath and in the tube. Take the carpet out so u can see if u see rust. Some people like to leave the tips off all the time. Rubicon is a good choice. Just look around and if u see something u like throw up some pictures and someone will give I some good advice in if its a good jeep. Google "most common things that break on jeep wrangler tj" and look for those things. Best advice I can give u. Look fwd to seeing u around when u get ur jeep! I will love the tj! It's a boss!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are all the areas bad for rust? where are you talking about when you say " in the tube"
thanks for the reply
Brian

·
Registered
210 Posts
The floor board by the passenger's feet (tube is the inside of the jeep, interior) under seats are good to check. Look at the frame under the jeep. Yes u will have to get dirty to look but if u find rust after u buy it u will be ma at itself do bein lazy. I'm not saying u will find one with no rust but a lot of rust is bad. It means they didn't care to much about it and who knows what else is wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks sounds good, i have no problem crawling under to check it out.... heck i actually enjoy it. whats the general consensus on the 5 speed vs 6 speed is one superior to the other?

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
Biggest difference is Trannys. Stick or auto. If you want a stick then 03/04 is a 5 speed and 05/06 is a 6 speed. Autos need more gear with the same size tire than the sticks do. .069 OD ratio. But all of them are sweet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anything you guys dont like about your wranglers? anything you love? looking for more input. assume i know nothing about them and what would you say for the pro vs con discussion.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon and I wouldn't want any other vehicle on the planet, well maybe other than the bat mobile but I just don't see that happening. Anyway, it's been super reliable so far, it's a blast to drive, and they look so darn cool. Mine has just over 64k miles, automatic transmission. I have a 2 inch BB (Budget Boost) waiting to be put on but I'm waiting for my Bilstein shocks to come in so I can install it all at the same time.

Cons to a Jeep Wrangler: only thing I can think of is the gas milage but I knew what I was getting myself into before I bought it so it doesn't bother me at all. Plus I'm only about 15 mins from work as it is my DD (Daily driver).

Pros: Go anywhere at any time, super super fun to drive, looks bada$$, chicks dig um (the wife fights me for the driver seat). When you get one you realize that there is an unbelievable amount of mods to get for it. You can customize a jeep wrangler more than any other car.

In short the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon or ANY TJ for that matter is a great car and is known by just about anyone. When ever anyone asks me if I would recommend it I say hell yes. The world would be a much slower and nicer place if everyone drive jeeps. Granted we would prob die from pollution and run out of oil but anyway, yea go for the jeep rubicon!! ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a 2005 Rubicon. I love it, and so far I haven't had any serious problems. The engine runs great with 90k miles, 6 speed tranny shifts like new. It is a blast to drive, and compared to all other jeeps, I think these are the best ones. Just IMO, but I couldn't ask for any more.

·
Registered
131 Posts
2003 Rubicon

I just recently bought an 03 tj rubicon. My best piece of advice and what i did was look for a one owner, well taken care of, with all the maintenance records, and then get it checked by a knowledgable mechanic.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a94 yj and would love an lj rubi! Try not to buy one that's had a lot of modifications, unless you know what to look for; or have someone with you who does. Taking a jeeper with you is probably not a bad idea either way. One con I will say about jeeps in general, lack of interior space/storage. There are ways around it just FYI. Rubicons tend to hold their value pretty well but don't buy the First one you see just because. Shop around, and don't be afraid to walk away. GL

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Tub not "Tube"

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
If I was choosing a 2003-2006 Rubicon, I'd try to stay 2003-2004 since the 2005-2006 4.0L engine has a known problem with some oil pump drive systems wearing prematurely.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
If I was choosing a 2003-2006 Rubicon, I'd try to stay 2003-2004 since the 2005-2006 4.0L engine has a known problem with some oil pump drive systems wearing prematurely.
Yup. Unless you get lucky and score an early 05. Replacing the OPDA isn't that big of a deal though i wouldn't let it stop you from buying a later model for a good deal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Unless you want an LJ Rubicon! :punk:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts