Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 sport...4.0 six cylinder 5 speed...bone stock all around with only 40,000 miles and the 3.73 gearing. I get approx 16.5 mpg which I told is fine and the jeep starts/runs decently.

However...I have to work pretty hard to spin the ties on a wet road in first or second. I hear others talk about the power their Jeep has and I'm just not seeing it. Is it my gearing? Is there a tune-up I should do or something clogged/dirty I should look for. I already changed the plugs, the air cleaner is clean and, like I said, it runs fine...I just want to make sure I'm not missing some power somewhere. (I came from a Ford 7.3 with oversized injectors so I might be biased)....but when i hear others on here talk, I feel like I might have a power issue somewhere.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What size and type of tires do you have. It makes a big difference on a jeep. And unless your power shifting or going around a tight corner you not going to get the wheels to spin in 2nd. Should of gotten a mustang if that's what you were looking for:). Sounds like everything is fine, you just need to get adjusted to what a lot of power means for a jeep compared to that giant oil burner you came from. Those things can move.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Like 00TJ said tire size and gear ratio play a big factor. Be prepared to to be passed alot!! Jeeps have the low end power to go through anything. But 0-60 can be timed with a sun dial lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts