Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m hoping someone with more knowledge than myself might be able to help me solve this. I’ve owned this 2003 Wrangler for a little less than a year and it has ~80,000 miles on it. It has a 4 cylinder manual transmission and is currently stuck in southern Utah, unable to get above 30 mph. About 6 months ago, the CEL came on for the first time, when I read the code, it said there was a problem with an air line but could possibly be a leaky gas cap. This didn’t seem to affect performance at all, so I didn’t make it a priority to diagnose right away.

At the beginning of June, I was on a fly fishing trip and on our way out of the lake my jeep got stuck after sliding down a dry wash into the ditch. It took almost all the engine had to get up and out, and when it was safe it stopped running. Initially we thought this was an overheating issue from running the engine so hard. But soon realized even when the engine was cold it would not idle without giving it lots of gas. Eventually the engine wouldn’t even start, so we had it towed off the mountain and into a shop. We found that the fuel injection fuse was blown, and replaced it right away; this got the engine started so we excitedly tried to drive away. Unfortunately, the car wouldn’t get over 30 MPH and didn’t sound like it was running well at all (maybe a cylinder or 2 wasn’t firing?), so we took it back into the shop. There we found that the coil was sending 2 strong sparks and 2 weak sparks, so we tried replacing that and it didn’t have any effect. Spark plugs look new, and aren’t flooded at all. Throughout this, we started the jeep maybe 12 times and blew through 5 fuel injector fuses. So looking at the wiring diagram for the fuses the mechanic decided to begin looking at wiring/ECM. We found a wire that was very frayed and possibly grounding on the chassis. Repairing that didn’t help so we replaced the ECM, thinking that all the blown fuses might have shot the computer by introducing high voltages. The ECM was also not the cause of the problem because the engine still isn’t running well. Interestingly, the shop went out of business while working on my vehicle so they dropped it with the Jeep dealer to finish the job. I’m already in over $600 with these guys and would like to save some time and money by getting some of your expert advise. (This is my second time putting money into a car in the desert without getting anywhere) Thanks for reading and thinking about this! Forever grateful.

-Hunter

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I am assuming the fuse you are blowing is 28. If so you need to find the short which will possibly fix the weak spark for 2 cylinders. Besides the 4 injectors it also powers the coil pack & also the capacitor which on your engine is on the back of the cylinder head possibly near the passenger side corner. All have a dark green/light green wire to them from fuse 28. Since you already found a damaged wire there are possibly more, likely in the same area. Probably near the back of the engine where things can rub the harness & cause all sorts of problems.

Post results when you figure this out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts