Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pair of 6.5" Kickers that were on sale knowing that they wouldn't fit in the 5.25" pods. I was trying to figure out a way to make a bracket that would fit the contour of the hole and would be flush with the face of the pod. It occurred to me that if I sacrifice the stock 5 1/4" speaker grills by removing the mesh in the middle and just leaving the outside ring, the ring works perfectly as a bracket if you invert it and put it in the speaker cavity. I used some speaker gasket material between the custom ring and the pod to prevent vibration. Anyway, it's a cheap fix and thought it may be worth sharing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
One of those "you never know, unless you try" solutions.
Great idea!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,902 Posts
was there a problem with mounting it to the face of the pod?

I've never installed kicker 6.5's but know that Polk 6.5's mount right to the face without any additional brackets

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Not on 03 up...
I have polks in my 04 and it was a PITA to get 6.5's in the pods... I chose to tape em up and grind the flanges down till they fit in the hole

·
Super Moderator
6,902 Posts
Not on 03 up...
I have polks in my 04 and it was a PITA to get 6.5's in the pods... I chose to tape em up and grind the flanges down till they fit in the hole
weird, i've installed polk MM 6.5's in my old 05 and my current 03 and DB 6.5's in the wife's 06. didnt even have to drill any new holes, just reused the factory mounting holes.

that is mounting them flat on the pod, not recessed into the speaker hole

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was there a problem with mounting it to the face of the pod?

I've never installed kicker 6.5's but know that Polk 6.5's mount right to the face without any additional brackets
No problems at all. The holes in the speakers lined up with the holes in the stock grill (new bracket) and stock grill, even inverted, lines up perfectly with the holes in the pod. And, when inverted, it fits the contour of the speaker cavity on the hole as well.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
weird, i've installed polk MM 6.5's in my old 05 and my current 03 and DB 6.5's in the wife's 06. didnt even have to drill any new holes, just reused the factory mounting holes.

that is mounting them flat on the pod, not recessed into the speaker hole
I may have spoken too fast....
Been thinking back and I may have just not been happy w installing them the way you did... I can be a wee bit particular.... I recessed them and used the factory grills.... It was important to me that someone looking in think the stereo was all stock and not worth stealing...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts