Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a quote from the dealer for a new rear main seal and it seemed way too cheap. $165. Total. Anyone have any experience with the rear main...I know they are prone to leaking. Mine is a very slight seep. 2003 Rubicon, manual trans. 4.0 of course. Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Perhaps they quoted you for parts only or misunderstood your request and quoted the rear seal of the t-case.

Vince

·
Registered
64 Posts
The parts are only ~$50, plus the cost of the oil change. The labor involved is less than an hour if you have a good mechanic. I don't see why that's not a reasonable price.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Make sure it's the rear main first...it could just be the valve cover or oil pan. But yea that's dirt cheap and they're only making $80-$100 after parts.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The parts are only ~$50, plus the cost of the oil change. The labor involved is less than an hour if you have a good mechanic. I don't see why that's not a reasonable price.
The thing is shops don't charge labor based on what a good mechanic or shade tree can do. They base their flat labor rate off whatever system they use, like alldata. I'm guessing the labor rate for a RMS is around 3-4 hours even if it only takes an hour.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The labor rate where I worked before was 1.5 hours for an RMS. My friends with no experience whatsoever have done it by themselves in an hour.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I spend that much time just cleaning the oil pan!!!
I don't know what to tell you. I'm an aviation mechanic and maintenance has to get done in an efficient manner. Maybe I just do things a little differently. Your oil pan can be tipped up and draining into a bucket the entire time you're working on the seal, the quickly wiped down and sprayed with a parts cleaner when you're ready to reinstall the gasket.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but you have to pull the tranny to change the rear main seal correct? If amatures can pull that and fix the seal and re install the tranny in an hour I am impressed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, i called the dealer back and this time I got the right guy...now Im hearing more like $500-700 range. And, no guarantee that it wont start leaking as soon as I pick it up. Probably will leak again. Its such a very slight seep that Im not going to worry about it until its time to do a clutch.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Well, i called the dealer back and this time I got the right guy...now Im hearing more like $500-700 range. And, no guarantee that it wont start leaking as soon as I pick it up. Probably will leak again. Its such a very slight seep that Im not going to worry about it until its time to do a clutch.
more like it. I bet it is a 3 to 4 hour job

·
Registered
38 Posts
I put in some Bar's rear main seal repair stuff to buy myself some time... wasnt expecting much but the stuff does work. Our leak is essentially gone.
Like "high mileage" motor oils it contains esters which are the gasket equivalent of chapstick. Its only 10 bucks - may want to give it a try first.

There is a misconception on this and some other boards that ester containing products will "clog up" your engine and cause a quantum shift which opens a worm-hole and renders your jeep asunder by molecular fragmentation. So be forewarned.

·
Registered
64 Posts
correct me if I am wrong but you have to pull the tranny to change the rear main seal correct? If amatures can pull that and fix the seal and re install the tranny in an hour I am impressed.
No. You drain the oil, drop the oil pan, remove the rear main bearing cap, remove the old rms, install the new one, get the old oil pan gasket off, put the new oil pan gasket on, mount up the oil pan, and refill it with oil. You never need to touch the transmission to change it. At most, you can loosen up a few of the caps in the rear to lower the crankshaft a little if you absolutely cannot get the old rms out.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
On an 03 you'll also have to drop the main bearing girdle.. But it really doesn't take long at all like he said

1 - 20 of 36 Posts