Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched till I am blue in the face for a Bosch 67726 fuel pump. Places who don't have it are Bosch (discontinued), Mopar parts (discontinued), Rock Auto (discontinued), Amazon, or any of the local parts places. So, I am going to have to use some kind of aftermarket pump. It seems like most if not all aftermarket reviews are pretty dismal. Does anyone have any GOOD suggestions? 2003 TJ Wrangler X with 4.0.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
The Bosch fuel pump assembly that includes the housing, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and gas gauge sender is discontinued. I understand from others the Delphi is an ok replacement but make sure to avoid Airtex, Spectre, or any store brand fuel pump assemblies.

BUT the good news is the Bosch 69316 fuel pump module is still available on Amazon.com and www.rockauto.com. Replacing that fixes most issues like slow start after the Jeep has sat overnight. It's meant to be replaced inside the fuel pump assembly, it's no more difficult than anything else you do to get to the fuel pump assembly.

Personally I'd rather just replace the fuel pump module than the entire assembly. Plus doing that is less costly too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2004 TJ 4.0L
I’ve been told that Bosch is what u want (as u already know); however, they no longer make the Bosch fuel pmp assembly . U can get a Bosch pump only that comes with the strainer. I wise man once told me.. he’d go with the pump only and if I absolutely needed the whole assembly Delphi would be next choice maybe.
Now my question is... is there a reason someone would go for the assembly vs. the pump only. I myself would like the assembly only because I just want to be sure all is taken care of while I have tank dropped. Also, it would be easier to just replace assembly vs try and replace only pump. However, my dilemma is ..is there a big step in quality between the top rated Bosch and the 2nd rated Delphi? If so, I’ll stick with just replacing the pump itself with the Bosch.
Hopefully someone else will read this thread and help us out. Good luck and please let me know which direction u take.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2004 TJ 4.0L
I’ve been told that Bosch is what u want (as u already know); however, they no longer make the Bosch fuel pmp assembly . U can get a Bosch pump only that comes with the strainer. I wise man once told me.. he’d go with the pump only and if I absolutely needed the whole assembly Delphi would be next choice maybe.
Now my question is... is there a reason someone would go for the assembly vs. the pump only. I myself would like the assembly only because I just want to be sure all is taken care of while I have tank dropped. Also, it would be easier to just replace assembly vs try and replace only pump. However, my dilemma is ..is there a big step in quality between the top rated Bosch and the 2nd rated Delphi? If so, I’ll stick with just replacing the pump itself with the Bosch.
Hopefully someone else will read this thread and help us out. Good luck and please let me know which direction u take.

I have a spare Bosch assembly for my 2000 TJ, but, were I in your situation, I'd install a Delphi complete unit and rebuild your OEM Bosch with a new pump, to keep as a spare.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Well my Delphi pump assembly has been installed and running 4 years this month without a problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I may get laughed at, but I went through a few pumps myself.. Ended up with an Omix-ADA pump. 5 year warranty, and it's a no questions asked warranty... you say you need a new pump, they send it overnight and done. Sadly I've dropped the tank enough that if a pump does go bad, I can swap it out in under an hour easily.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I may get laughed at, but I went through a few pumps myself.. Ended up with an Omix-ADA pump. 5 year warranty, and it's a no questions asked warranty... you say you need a new pump, they send it overnight and done. Sadly I've dropped the tank enough that if a pump does go bad, I can swap it out in under an hour easily.
5 year and lifetime warranties don't get you home when it fails. I'll go cheap on floor mats but never on a critical component like a fuel pump, water pump, starter, sensor, etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Airtex has been working great for me, almost 3 years now. OEM failed at 38K, Bosch replacement failed 30k later. Anecdotally I notice the people who like to run around at 1/4 tank or less go through fuel pumps, I fill up at half a tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mark K are u saying, u’d buy a new Delphi assembly/module and a new Bosch; then, u would replace the new Delphi pump with the new Bosch pump and keep the new Delphi pump as a spare?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mark K are u saying, u’d buy a new Delphi assembly/module and a new Bosch; then, u would replace the new Delphi pump with the new Bosch pump and keep the new Delphi pump as a spare?

No (I think). I mean to remove your failed Bosch unit and install a new Delphi unit in your tank. Then rebuild your Bosch with a new electric pump. That gets you on the road fastest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, thanks for all the replys. I have ordered and received the Delphi. Just wating to run all the fuel out. The old pump has lasted 100,000 miles. If the new one last half as long, I will be very pleased. I guess time will tell. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, new fuel pump is in. It was a little bit of a challenge to get some of the clips undone and I broke one. I already had spare clips on hand. I replaced them all just for grins. Engine now starts right up. I also seem to have more power at highway speeds. Apparently the old pump was not able to supply enough pressure. Milage increased by almost 2 mpg! In all, it took me about 4 hours. The next time I believe I can do it in about half that. One a scale of 1-10, I give this a 4. Not hard but fiddly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found the Bosch 67726 pump assembly at NAPA...special order and it is 300 bucks but should be worth it as I have used other less expensive pumps {Spectra Premium} and had it fail after only 12000 miles and one year.

·
Retired Moderator
100,740 Posts
I found the Bosch 67726 pump assembly at NAPA...special order and it is 300 bucks but should be worth it as I have used other less expensive pumps {Spectra Premium} and had it fail after only 12000 miles and one year.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts