Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 TJ inline 6 auto trans.

The past couple weeks when i would start up my jeep it would act like the battery was going dead and slowly crank. But it would always fire up and and run normal with no CEL. Of course today i go out to leave for work and its dead. So i get another jeep hooked up to it to jump it. Once i hooked the cables up it showed normal signs of life. And it cranks fine but will not start and stay running. You can tell it wants to but immediately shuts off. I noticed the CEL would pop on occasionally while starting but not everytime. Im really at a loss for what to do.

My original thought was that the alt was going out and not charging the battery when i drive, but certain times when i drove it, it would start fine. And then yesterday it barely started when i left work, even though 4 hours earlier i had it running for a solid 30 minutes.

Ill try to take a video of what its doing but that might have to wait until tonight.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you turn the key from off-run a few times before cranking will it run longer? Sounds like you may have multiple issues, one being a battery at the end of its life, and potentially a fuel related problem.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Have you tuned it up? New plugs & cleaned the IAC & TB ? Have you had the battery checked ? These are common things to check on Tj's

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
If the battery is bad or weak the PCM will not run the engine and it will shut right off. Have the battery tested

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with the battery being bad or supremely drained. I killed my old battery once and even after the jump, I had to keep the revs up for 10 minutes, as it would stall at idle. It eventually came back, but I think the battery was damaged after that.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree with the battery being bad or supremely drained. I killed my old battery once and even after the jump, I had to keep the revs up for 10 minutes, as it would stall at idle. It eventually came back, but I think the battery was damaged after that.
generally automotive batteries do not handle being discharged to low levels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys, I didn't expect to get that many.

I'm at work right now but will have time either tonight or tomorrow to start working on it. I'll pull the battery and swap in one out of my Cherokee and see what happens.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright guys. I threw the battery into it from my Cherokee and it fired right up. Totally feel like a noob right now. Never had a battery be that dead though. Oh well. Thanks for all the help.

What are all you guys running for batteries? I was reading good things about Duralast Golds. I have a winch, a set of fog lights and an amp hooked up so ill need something that can handle my accessories.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
A good heavy-duty Group 34 AGM battery with an 800-850 CCA rating would be a good choice. Most battery brands have AGM batteries which are built more ruggedly and hold up much better in Jeeps. AGM stands for absorbed glass mat where the acid is in paste form and pressed into the fiberglass mat so it's not a liquid. It is still a conventional lead-acid battery though so it charges and operates like any conventional wet lead acid battery does. A Deka would be a great choice if you can find one locally. If $$$ is no object, they don't get any better than an Odyssey. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A good heavy-duty Group 34 AGM battery with an 800-850 CCA rating would be a good choice. Most battery brands have AGM batteries which are built more ruggedly and hold up much better in Jeeps. AGM stands for absorbed glass mat where the acid is in paste form and pressed into the fiberglass mat so it's not a liquid. It is still a conventional lead-acid battery though so it charges and operates like any conventional wet lead acid battery does. A Deka would be a great choice if you can find one locally. If $$$ is no object, they don't get any better than an Odyssey. :)
You always have the answers, thanks man. Quick question though. It seems from i can find locally, its either gonna be an AGM with around 775CCA/890CA or a non-AGM with 800CCA/1000CA. Which would be my better option here?

Its funny you mentioned Deka because it looks like they make all the batteries for Oreilly's, the Super Start brand. And thats what im looking at right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts