Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport I6 6cyl for $8100 with 85k miles on it. The only problem is that it has a salvaged title due to an accident. I test drove it and it drives perfectly fine and straight. It doesn't have rust or visual damage that I could see. The dealer has the state certificate that allows it to be resold. It also has brand new tires and a nice hard top. Is it worth the risk?

Thanks,
Brendan

·
Registered
165 Posts
Check the frame and check it good! Just because it drives straight doesn't mean it hasn't been fixed and crap welded. I don't what area you're in, but I think if you keep looking you can find an even better deal. There's a 2015 sport here for 19k with 40k miles. I know that's a lot more than what you're talking, but they're out there. Don't settle!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd be cautious about a salvage title on anything but a dedicated trail rig--even if everything is perfect on it.
My understanding is that with a salvage title insurance companies value it at no more than $500, so if you get rear ended or anything you'll get pennies compared to actual repair costs.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm looking into buying a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport I6 6cyl for $8100 with 85k miles on it. The only problem is that it has a salvaged title due to an accident. I test drove it and it drives perfectly fine and straight. It doesn't have rust or visual damage that I could see. The dealer has the state certificate that allows it to be resold. It also has brand new tires and a nice hard top. Is it worth the risk?

Thanks,
Brendan
Call a local 4x4 shop and see what they'll charge you to look it over....$150 spent at a place like that may make a huge difference.

and remember, no matter how good it drives, you'll sell it for less later....if you ever sell it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I deal with salvague title all the time. Some are good, some are bad. It all depends on why is salvaged, and how it was repaired. If you don't know alot about cars, or have the knowledge to know what you are looking for, have a good mechanic, or even a frame shop look at it for you. Don't be afraid of salvaged, but definitely be careful.
As for insurance, most of the big companies will insure it, even full coverage, but will want an inspection and pictures. In My experience, salvage title is worth about 75% of clean title. I'm in the prices of building my own 06 LJ right now, and it will be salvage title also. But in my case, I know the before and after. All the cars I fix usually end up nicer than their clean title comparisons, because alor of things get replaced that could be neglected on a never been wrecked, never been maintenenced clean title.
I'm new to the forum, but salvage cars are my thing. I how this helps....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry for the spelling this swipe to text feature is killing me lol!

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
That's pretty close to a clean title price.
I would agree, if you like the Jeep and it checks out the salvaged title could be a nice bargaining tool....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here in Georgia, when a vehicle is totaled, it is given a salvage title. When it is repaired and has passed inspection it is given a rebuilt title. Then it is worth about about 60% of its book value. I didn't think a salvage-titled vehicle could be driven or sold until it had been given a rebuilt status. Anyway, if you check it out thoroughly, and plan on keeping it forever, it can be a good deal. I don't think that one is price low enough to reflect the title status. That's a typical dealer though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts