Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New user here. The blower on my '03 Wrangler X works intermittently. I get cool air when I am moving, but when stopped, nothing. Called around and found that mechanics want $99 just to diagnose. Went to AutoZone, helpful guys suggested I replace the relay switch - said I can do it myself. Not sure about that. Any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Just moved to JAX - really need A/C!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here's a good write up of properly diagnosing a malfunctioning blower [link]. Sometimes it's the blower motor, sometimes it's the resistor, sometimes it's the selector switch, sometimes it's melted wiring (which is the case for me).

·
Registered
808 Posts
In my experience, its the resistor. Cheap, easy fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody - glad I found this forum! More questions...

I am not particularly mechanical, although I would like to change that.

Yesterday I took my Wrangler to a local mechanic and then to Pep Boys - both tell me that I need a new blower motor, switch, etc. The mechanic wants close to $600 and Pep Boys wants over $800 to fix it. Seems a bit high to me - it is a Jeep, after all. I thought Jeeps were fairly easy to work on. Especially after seeing your comments here. Makes me wonder if the estimates have something to do with me being female! So just wanted to bounce that off you all - does it sound like I am getting taken? I went to AutoZone and bought the parts for much less than the estimates. Any ideas are appreciated!

I just moved to Florida - it's REALLY hot here! :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Blower motor is on passenger side foot well. Look under dash. Three screws and one wiring clip. The resistor is behind the glove box and kinda awkward to get too but doable. Do price comparison online and in store.

Reactions: Clutch and ldrhodes

·
Registered
808 Posts
Blower motor is on passenger side foot well. Look under dash. Three screws and one wiring clip. The resistor is behind the glove box and kinda awkward to get too but doable. Do price comparison online and in store.
x2. Both are easy fixes. Probably $50 or less in parts and maybe 1 to 2 hours of your time, depending on how mechanically inclined you are. I'm sure there's a youtube video on how to do it. Maybe try "BleepinJeep" on youtube. They usually have videos about this sort of thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts