Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Wrangler
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 2004 Wrangler. Kind of rusty, but only 56K. Looking forward to all sorts of fun with it. New to the forum too, and it looks great, so thanks.

My question right now: It came with only one key. Is this a chip key? Or can any locksmith/hardware store make me a few copies?

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
Only dealer and some well equipped locksmiths can make another working chipped key work if you only have one

With two working you can add a couple more as long as two different not cloned chip keys are in your possession and already working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
Color of key head at least oem does relate to of has a chip

Can also tell by making duplicate unchipped key and trying it

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
After market keys have the same coding. The factory keys are a darker gray than some of the after market keys.

OP - don't take a risk. The chips can fail over time and if you don't have a second functional key the Jeep must be towed to a dealer or locksmith that can make one. Here in S. Georgia there was only one locksmith that could (requires a special computer) and the partnership has broken up so I don't know if there is any one other than the dealer down here.

If you have a dealer do it, figure about $150 and up. If you have to be towed, it could get real expensive.

Reactions: graycenphil

·
Registered
2004 Wrangler
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. My key is dark grey, I believe it is factory, and I have only one. If it is chipped, does that mean I have to go to the dealer or well equipped locksmith to make a copy?

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
61,509 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If not entirely sure yet...
I would take it to Home Depot and make two $3.00 keys. If they work, you have spares in the bag. If they don't work, you'll need the chipped key made. The un-chipped Home Depot keys could be handy to unlock doors, if you have full doors and a hard top. and locked your keys inside the cab...

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
If it is dark grey and has the work "JEEP" on it then it is a factory original. I have one like that has almost turned dark brown over the years. If it has the Chrysler Corp Pentastar logo, then it is one most likely made at a dealer, I have one like that. My third key made at a locksmith is a light grey. Since I had an original that was 13 years old at the time and a second key, I wanted a second spare while the opportunity presented itself.

The keys do go bad. I sold my 2006 Ram 2500 to a friend (he had been borrowing it a lot and needed a HD truck in his business). He was on a job about two hours away and he called me. The remote unlock didn't work - no problem, he unlocked it manually. The truck would start, run for a few seconds and shut down. He had bought new batteries and the remote worked on the locks but wouldn't start. I informed him they are two separate systems, the remote is one module and requires the battery in the key. The second system uses vehicle power to detect the chip in the key in order for it to run.

If no key will work, then it is the SKIM (Sentry Key Ignition Module) behind the dash. (The remote lock and unlock is a separate module under the dash for those CDJR vehicles that have them (Jeep Wrangler after 2006).

You can't just pull the SKIM and use a plain key, as the PCM is programmed with the SKIM and if it is unplugged, will not run.

Some members defeat the SKIM by getting a plain key made and then taping the SKIM key in the housing around the lock cylinder so it can be read by the system (at least until the chip fails.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

Deja vu. I have a 2004 Wrangler with only one key. I went to the dealer in Johnston RI today for duplicates. They made the keys but weren’t able to program. They claimed they didn’t have software to duplicate because of the vehicles age. They suggested that a independent locksmith might be able to program. Will call a few Monday to se if they can make copies.

Cheers
John

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
That's interesting. Three years ago I was quoted $150 by my local dealer to cut and program a key for my TJ, I had it done by a local locksmith for $71.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

Deja vu. I have a 2004 Wrangler with only one key. I went to the dealer in Johnston RI today for duplicates. They made the keys but weren’t able to program. They claimed they didn’t have software to duplicate because of the vehicles age. They suggested that a independent locksmith might be able to program. Will call a few Monday to se if they can make copies.

Cheers
John
Hello,
Here is an update. Had a lock smith come to my work ($25 mobile charge) and try to program the key blanks from dealer. They quoted me $100 for programming and $25 for mobile service.
Took them about 45 minutes. Tech stated that dealer game the wrong key blanks (Hitag) vs a (64) which was required. Basically the wrong chipset. He was surprised the dealer did that. He had two correct blanks on truck which he cut and programmed.

At the end of the conversation I asked the dreaded how much? He replied still $125. I was surprised but very happy with the service. At $62.50 each programmed I thought it was fair. I’ll return the wrong keys to the dealer for a refund Saturday. Hope this helps anybody in the same situation.

Shout out to the locksmit’s.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
2004 Wrangler
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I called the Jeep dealer here; they quoted $65 for the key and another $65 to program it, but they don’t have the keys in stock so you have to order one.

I was in Aubochon Hardware and they said they can do it for $69, and they have the key in stock. I didn’t have my Jeep key with me, but I’ll bring it next time. I’ll report back if it doesn’t work.

I really would be so much happier with a regular, non-chip key. Anybody ever look into defeating the mechanism that prevents it from starting?

·
Registered
14,332 Posts
You can send you pcm in to have skim deactivated but agin at least $100

Skim is an option for 99-06 and maybe 98
All PCM of these years are skim capable
If you instal a pcm without skim
Activated into a TJ that has a skim module wired into communication after three starts it is skim activated and dealer either cannot or will not inactivate skim

So if you send in pcm and have skim deactivated be sure to unplug and or remove skim module before reinstalling pcm

Also note don’t borrow your buddies non skim active pcm to try in your TJ with skim to rule out a pcm issue as after three starts his pcm is skim
Active and married to your skim module making it inoperable in his jeep

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
This afternoon I went into my hardware store to have a key cut for the new lock on the front door. As the clerk left the front counter I started to the back of the store where their older manual cutting machine was. I am sure all of you are familiar with the old system. You gave the key to the clerk and then they visually matched the blank, clamping both keys into the jig and using the probe guided the key while the grinding wheel cut the blank to match.

Well, the clerk didn't turn so I had to turn around and follow him to a new laser guided set up. He inserted the key, the laser scanned the key, told him which blank to put into the opening, and had a visual diagram to ensure the key blank was in the right position (red background to image until the key was in the right position when the background turned green). He then pressed a button and the machine ground key (original in my hand at this point). I was having two cut, so when the first was done, he handed it to me and went through the process with the second key (cut from the original image stored in the machine). Slick.

He point out to me that they even cut AND PROGRAMMED chipped keys (by cloning). I didn't ask how much, but the two metal keys were $5.16. The machine IIRC said HY-KO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts