Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is my 3rd Jeep I’ve posted on the forum recently. I have a YJ, JL and now this LJ. My YJ is for sale as the wife will only let me have one project Jeep at a time.

This 2004 LJ was in pretty rough shape when I picked it up with only 105k on the clock. It had recently been traded in at a local Chevy dealer. They replaced all of the wearable steering components such as bushings and tie rod ends, and new sway bar links. They did a deep clean of the interior as well.

Items still needing to be address

1: Springs and Shocks are shot going to replace with some sort of lift kit. Looking at Pro Comp at the moment as the kit has all new arms with shocks and track bars.

2: Bigger tires. I’m going with 33x12.5x15s just not sure the brand yet. Possibly BFG KO2s which I have on my YJ

3: Parking Brake doesn’t work. I tightened it underneath the Jeep but it looks like I’ll have to adjust on either side.

4: Fluid changes.

That should be it for now. Won’t go as crazy on this build as I did on the YJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Good luck! My LJ with 112,000 just had the engine pulled with 4 bad cylinders and a worn cam

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck! My LJ with 112,000 just had the engine pulled with 4 bad cylinders and a worn cam

Dang! I’ve had nothing but good luck with my 4.0s. My YJ had 220k on it when I pulled it for a Stroker.

Intentions were to drop the Stroker in the LJ but apparently not all 4.0s are the same haha.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Lift kit is on back order so I’ve been working on updating the small things. So far I’ve done the below.

New Barnes 4wd Rear Bumper

New Headlights
New Speakers JBL

Rough Country Seat Covers

Rough Country Hood lift

For whatever reason the hood prop was missing from the Jeep. RC makes a cool kit with struts to prop the hood open.

On order is a set of 4.88 gears and new Banks exhaust.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from vacation and starting to get a few more things done. The Jeep is going tomorrow to get the 4.88s and new Yukon ball joints installed. Next week will be the lift and tires. It’s a bit backwards but the guy I am getting the lift from is out of town till next week. Since its not a daily driver, won’t hurt much to wait to get the lift on.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Jeep has gone through some upgrades the last few days. 4.88s are in with Teraflex diff covers

4” Lift kit with 33” Hercules M/Ts

Now the hunt begins for what caused the death wobble I had on the way to get the tires installed. Scared the hell out of me.

I’ve heard about it, but over the last ten years owning Jeeps it never happened once. Hit a pot hole and the Jeep went crazy. I slowed down to 35 mph and it stopped.

I’m thinking the lift needs to settle a bit since it does have new lower control arms and track bar. The steering is all brand new as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The Jeep has gone through some upgrades the last few days. 4.88s are in with Teraflex diff covers

4” Lift kit with 33” Hercules M/Ts

Now the hunt begins for what caused the death wobble I had on the way to get the tires installed. Scared the hell out of me.

I’ve heard about it, but over the last ten years owning Jeeps it never happened once. Hit a pot hole and the Jeep went crazy. I slowed down to 35 mph and it stopped.

I’m thinking the lift needs to settle a bit since it does have new lower control arms and track bar. The steering is all brand new as well.

Are you in lakewood ca?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well crap, went and got my LJ aligned at my local Firestone and they told me my rear axle is bent. I just had my gears done, and I assume if it was really bad they would’ve noticed.

I’m not leaking anything so I’m not sure if it’s worth fixing at the moment. Thoughts?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fixed my DW which was caused by a loose track bar bolt. The torx bolt on the axle end of the track bar was stripped and loose. I swapped it with one I got from Barnes 4wd and all is well.

Jeep has been driving great lately. No plans on any upgrades any time soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well crap, went and got my LJ aligned at my local Firestone and they told me my rear axle is bent. I just had my gears done, and I assume if it was really bad they would’ve noticed.

I’m not leaking anything so I’m not sure if it’s worth fixing at the moment. Thoughts?

Time for an upgrade!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since the last update I haven’t done a whole lot to the Jeep other than put some miles on it. I just barely put 500 miles on it since the regear and changed the gear oil.

I noticed when putting on my LED headlights that one bracket was busted. I ordered a replacement but was too lazy to install. Finally I did when the light bracket broke and the headlight had some bounce to it.

Since the lift was installed my 7 year old daughter can’t climb in the Jeep since it doesn’t have any steps. Wife suggested getting some, so of course I can’t say no. I ordered Body Armor’s rock rails and hope to get them soon.

Here’s a comparison shot of my LJ and JL. The LJ sits pretty close height wise. The JL is a 2.5” Rock Krawler with 35s. The funny thing is the LJ is still a bit longer.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve been reading a lot of the forums and saw that the ZJ Tie Rod is a cheap upgrade for the TJs. I purchased a set of MOOG from Amazon and the pictures speak for themselves. Note that the stock parts are new as the dealer replaced the steering prior to my purchase.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haven’t done a lot to the Jeep lately. The weather warmed up a little bit and I was able to take the doors off. The Jeep sits in the garage so I packed the doors away for the summer.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Front axle was leaking a very small but noticeable amount so I swapped out the lube locker for some RTV.

Still leaking!!! Argh so I got a new lube locker and will attempt it again. Gears look good though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What front bumper are you running?

Just happened to notice this. I don’t know a whole lot about the bumper as I bought it off a friend and had it on my previous YJ. It’s made by ARB.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The LJ has become my daily driver for at least the next four months. My wife and I sold her Grand Cherokee and put a deposit down on a new Bronco.

She gets to drive the Gladiator, which I recently lifted and had it regeared. I threw on Rubicon springs to go with the Fox shocks as well as 1.5” spacers up front. Sure fits the 35s pretty well.

I removed the spare from my LJ until I can get a tire carrier. The 33 was making a lot of noise and didn’t want to risk damaging the tailgate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts