Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At last i have installed soft top on my LJ. This frame and top was sitting in the barn and basement since last 8 years. A year back I got her with hardtop.

What i did:

• Replaced the two sunrider knuckles( got them from daveysjeeps) and installed it during the weekend.

• Drilled 1/4 inch hole on the top of the door surroundings to place the top latch pin. Bought these pins from local Roush hardware(1/4 to 1-1/4). I have followed the notes from below thread. Thanks @Legend2

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/sun-rider-bow-knuckles-05-unlimited-564769.html

Whole installation process took around 2 hours. Ride is just great with soft top and without windows. 22 months daughter and wife also enjoyed their first ride last night :).

Issues that i need to fix down the lane:

1) Soft top has a tear near to passenger side windshield channel. So far i have not noticed air and water leaks through it. It seems fine for now. What are the best options i have to fix this? please see pic 1

2) I have noticed all side and rear window zips are very hard to pull. Do you guys recommend any lube or steps to make it clean and work it better? See pic 2

3) I have also noticed top rare corners are not very tight though the plastic guards stick around the corner base. Is it common for the age it has on the soft top? Please look at pics 3 and 4

4) Sunrider sleeve on driver side is missing. Does it impact functionality of the sunrider or does it make a tear on the soft top because of the bent knuckle? pic 5.

5) I'm thinking to buy soft top window cleaner as well. All three windows have bunch of marks on them. Not sure if i need to buy Vinyl cleaner or plastic window cleaner. Please suggest me.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had an '04 LJ with an '06 soft top. Not much you can do for the rip I don't think. I'd research some convertible top repair tape.

Yes, lube the zippers. Chap stick or there is zipper lube you can buy.

Clean windows with mild soap and water, let dry, and polish with pledge and a clean micro fiber towel.

I doubt the missing sleeve will matter much. Maybe when folding the top down the lack of support may make the other sides sleeve crack, but other than that I wouldn't think so.

I'd watch CL for a new top, but really the newest use top for an LJ is 11 years old. Going to be hard to find one in good shape.

And nice LJ! I miss mine.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Any good boat cover shop or similar shop should be able to do something to that tear. The guy who fixes our boat cover had a Samurai that he was designing a top for in his shop. The missing sleeve shouldnt make a difference unless you lower and raise the top frequently. It'll just make that front part of the top unstable. If the plastic corners in the rear are in the corners then there are ways to adjust the fitment of the top to make those corners tighter. I havent had a bow top for 7 years now so I cant remember.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts