Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help/advice, I just bought a 2004 Rubicon stock and I I'm thinking about lifting it I just want to go with a 2 or 3 inch lift, my question is the Rubicon already lifted 1 inch from the factory? so if I bought a 2" lift I would only raise it one inch? I have researched everything and cant find the answer, also if I go 3" will I get vibration from the drive line? last thing I want a good riding lift I was thinking a bout a zone 3" but seams like the OME is the smoothest? any suggestions?

Thanks for the help

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
Rubicons are unlifted, they have the same height a standard TJ does. 3" of suspension lift height is the point (often even 2-2.5") where vibrations are guaranteed if the usual steps to prevent that aren't taken. Steps taken can be from just a small transfer case skid plate drop of .5 to 1", a pair of 1" taller motor mounts, or most desirably for 4" and taller lifts, an aftermarket CV driveshaft.

A Zone 3" is fine and it includes what is needed to prevent drivetrain vibrations. The OME is fine too and rides well. The Zone can have a good ride too with the right shock absorbers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry the zone comes with Shocks so would I need to purchase additonal shocks to replace the one in the kit?

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it's a Rubicon then the SYE isn't needed as the 241OR case comes with a fixed yoke.

Combo lift setups plus motor mount lifts are a decent way of gaining height. 1"-1.25" body lift with motor mount lift and 2"-2.5" suspension lift. Keeps your angles pretty tame and gains ground clearance and tire clearance. 3"-4" suspension lift is nice but it's a little more involved for an install. If you go the body plus suspension route then do body first. It'll make the suspension lift more accessible.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Won't have to, just means you may have to run a small transfercase drop as Jerry mentioned. Most kits over 2.5" inches provide the drop. With a motor mount lift the drop may or may not be necessary. Only real way to tell other than trial and error is to get under with an angle finder and check your output angle, pinion angle and driveshaft angles. Using those it'll give you an idea on how close you are to being out of spec. The higher you go the worse they'll get until you correct them. Different jeeps tend to run in to vibrations at different lift heights. Ive heard of people have problems at 2" of lift. I was fine at 3", when I tried 3/4" spacers on top of the springs then I ran into vibration. That was before I had a good handle on driveline angles though. Right now I'm running 4.5" suspension lift with temporary extended lowers, MML, and 1" worth of transfer case drop with stock slip yoke shaft. I have no vibrations at all and my output and pinion are perfectly parallel but my driveshaft angle is about 9 degrees which is quite steep, that much angle lessens the life of u-joints. I haven't had any issues yet. I crawl under for a good check once a week but I also daily mine in the warm months so it gets 600 miles or more a week, almost half is at 70 mph.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Need some help/advice, I just bought a 2004 Rubicon stock and I I'm thinking about lifting it I just want to go with a 2 or 3 inch lift, my question is the Rubicon already lifted 1 inch from the factory? so if I bought a 2" lift I would only raise it one inch? I have researched everything and cant find the answer, also if I go 3" will I get vibration from the drive line? last thing I want a good riding lift I was thinking a bout a zone 3" but seams like the OME is the smoothest? any suggestions?

Thanks for the help
I agree with what has been stated already, but I really think you would like the Zone 4.25" Combo kit ($529) that includes 3" Springs, 1.25" Body Lift, and a 1" Motor Mount Lift. You won't have any issues with driveline vibrations and works very well with 33" tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gmD_z780NM&t=30s

Reactions: JC_Craig

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree with what has been stated already, but I really think you would like the Zone 4.25" Combo kit ($529) that includes 3" Springs, 1.25" Body Lift, and a 1" Motor Mount Lift. You won't have any issues with driveline vibrations and works very well with 33" tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gmD_z780NM&t=30s
That's basically the same setup I had for awhile except using a Rough Country body lift, JKS MML and BDS 3" suspension lift. Worked really well for 33's. I've since gone to 4" suspension which was quite a bit more work to gain an inch but it's in anticipation of 35's.

·
Registered
15,655 Posts
Depends what you want

My wife's 04 Rubi

Rides nice with metric 32.5 tires with small body lift
Small spring spacers
MM lift
And washers under steering stops

Keeps stock Driveshafts and stock control arms

With the 5spd even in the mountains where we live the stock 4.11 gears are fine and speedo reads damn near spot on

She likes it like that

My 98 sport has no body lift but four+ inch spring lift and double adjustable metal cloak arms and 4.55/4.56 gears and selectable ARB lockers again with a 5spd
Mine needed a speedo healer to correct speedo with the super short SYE

Her's is a little more pleasant on the highway and gets better mpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts