Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this topic has lots of discussion but I can't find my issue in any of them. My stock rear locker doesn't work reliably but there are no other symptoms. The lights on the dash work correctly. I push it down once and the light for the rear blinks for a second then goes solid. Push the switch down a 2nd time and the front does the same thing. The fronts work perfect all the time. The pumps seem to work correctly. When I activate the rear locker the pump turns on for a second or two and then shuts off. I removed the hose from the pump and it ran until i covered the nipple with my finger. I then removed the line from the diff and the same thing. The only thing I notice is once in a while I hear a blurp from the pump and that happens even when I block the nozzle at the pump. Now this is like every minute or 2 and only for a split second. Is it possible the pump is bad and that is causing my issue or can this be more involved inside the gears. How would I test the pump to see if its the issue? I've heard the rear diff lockers can have issues on these dana 44's. Any thoughts would be appriciated.
Thanks,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll get this thing up on jack stands and check to see if that's the issue. I hope it's that simple.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opened the cover and could see that bladder was filling with air when activation the pumps but was at an angle so I poked around with a flat head screw driver just to see if I could even out the bladder and was able to but didn't think it made a difference. I put new oil in and went wheeling last Saturday. I told everyone I was only running with front lockers and then because I can't help myself I attempted about a 15' almost cliff in the snow and mud. Well I didn't make it up and neither did anyone else for that matter but my rear lockers were working.
I guess the point is to poke around a bit before just replacing. Now having said that if they fail again (which I am assuming they will) then I am going to replace but until then I will keep on keeping on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts