Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, new to the forum, seeking advice on a Lift for my TJ. Pardon if I am in the wrong section...
I have a stock 04 TJ, absolutely amazing condition, rust free etc. I am searching for either a 3-4" reliable suspension lift. This jeep is not a DD, summertime only buggy.. I live in North Maine, where wheeling here consists of Rocky trails and mud. I have 2 young kids whom I will be taking with me on most adventures, so needless to say I won't be doing anything too hardcore. I plan on going with 33's on my 15x8 steel wheels. I truly don't think I need anything bigger, and I know 33's are more than sufficient as I used to run them on my XJ with a 3" beginner baseline skyjacker suspension. Now with that being said, I am certain I will never run skyjacker again. The sag after 1 year was horrible, the shocks (hydro 7000) were absolutely junk, and I am all set with the death wobble so i definitely want to so this right to avoid the DW in the future. Please see the attached link and comments welcome please on the author's analysis.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/

I was thinking perhaps the Rubicon express 3.5", and adding sye/cv shaft right off the get-go. I was also thinking (going by what others have said) that I should add on a high quality front track bar, along with front and rear adjustable control arms (lower and upper). How about rear track bar? Will a 3-4" lift need a new rear track bar? Any reccomendations on shocks? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated as I am ready to order my lift.

I was also looking at the Teraflex and OME kits.

Here is the kit of interest. 3.5" superdlex. It comes with a bracket for the rear track bar, do these lead to problems in the future? Comments welcome.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Since you used the words "high quality" and "reliable"...I would head straight to the Currie/Savy kits or Metal Cloak kits.

IMHO, Rubicon Express is way overpriced for the quality you really get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you used the words "high quality" and "reliable"...I would head straight to the Currie/Savy kits or Metal Cloak kits.

IMHO, Rubicon Express is way overpriced for the quality you really get.
Thanks for the reply, as much as I would like a Currie system, it is simply out of my budget. You are the second person now whom has told me R.E. is overpriced, so i am also considering a teraflex kit.. I can't get the best money can buy, but I do not want to go skyjacker/RC/Zone. So... leaning towards RE 3.5, or a teraflex 3-4" kit

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Thanks for the reply, as much as I would like a Currie system, it is simply out of my budget. You are the second person now whom has told me R.E. is overpriced, so i am also considering a teraflex kit.. I can't get the best money can buy, but I do not want to go skyjacker/RC/Zone. So... leaning towards RE 3.5, or a teraflex 3-4" kit
Then I would head to OME or BDS.

Teraflex really didn't do great things for the TJ. They have a strong following for YJ's and JK's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't aware of that, good feedback, that's why I am here. Now, I am going to do the SYE/CV also, and I was told I need to replace rear track bar and control arms (upper and lower) is this true for a 3" lift? As for control arms, both front and rear, do I need to replace ALL UPPER AND LOWER? Again, if it will save me a headache the future, do I do them all? What might you suggest for control arms and track bars?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Go with the Zone 4.25" combo lift (better than Rubicon Express) or call Dirk at DPG Off-Road for Old Man Emu. Dirk is the man when it comes to TJ suspensions. I bought my Old Man Emu setup from him and it rides great.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I wasn't aware of that, good feedback, that's why I am here. Now, I am going to do the SYE/CV also, and I was told I need to replace rear track bar and control arms (upper and lower) is this true for a 3" lift? As for control arms, both front and rear, do I need to replace ALL UPPER AND LOWER? Again, if it will save me a headache the future, do I do them all? What might you suggest for control arms and track bars?
For 3" suspension, you should be good without an SYE/CV combo. If you go 4" suspension, then you would need SYE, CV driveshaft, adjustable upper control arms and possibly an adjustable rear track bar, and adjustable front track bar.

No you do not need to replace all control arms. I run an Old Man Emu 2.5" suspension lift with new trackbars front and rear, SYE/CV and only rear upper adjustable control arms. The rest of my control arms are stock and it rides and flexes great.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Go with the Zone 4.25" combo lift (better than Rubicon Express) or call Dirk at DPG Off-Road for Old Man Emu. Dirk is the man when it comes to TJ suspensions. I bought my Old Man Emu setup from him and it rides great.
Almost bought the OME 2.5" kit from DPG, but Morris4x4 gave me a 10% discount and that was worth over $100. That being said, and as others have said up here elsewhere, now my TJ rides like "buttah."

The spousal unit, who's a city girl, loves it on the highway for road trips. The OME coils, shocks and the Cooper Discover AT3s are a big improvement over the stock coils and shocks, and the Wrangler MTRs. :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Almost bought the OME 2.5" kit from DPG, but Morris4x4 gave me a 10% discount and that was worth over $100. That being said, and as others have said up here elsewhere, now my TJ rides like "buttah."

The spousal unit, who's a city girl, loves it on the highway for road trips. The OME coils, shocks and the Cooper Discover AT3s are a big improvement over the stock coils and shocks, and the Wrangler MTRs. :)
Yeah sometimes he is more expensive than other companies. But every time I call him, he typically beats most companies including shipping, especially quadratec.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I ordered this kit. Going to start the install this weekend.. I have heard mixed reviews on the OME Shocks, if I don't like the ride I may try either Rancho or fox..

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I got MC 3.5 waiting in garage for install, I started at the rubicon sys and quickly abandoned the idea upon discovery of this sight..... curry is bit out of range to some of us, but MC sys gave few more parts at slightly less cost, and the testing videos on their site are quite convincing, I imagine if u purchase any quality sys it will then depend on setup and dial-in of components to truly determine its worth/efficiency, but all that said......guy that takes his time and sets his skyjacker sys right , could have better results than some clown that slops in 5k worth of curry

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
yah srry prob hold bit more weight if I spelled the dam name right, currie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts