Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 tj with a meyer snowplow setup. My low beam headlights recently just stopped working. Hi beam and all other lights work fine. I checked the change over modules for continuity and all is ok. I replaced the headlight switch in the steering column and still same problem. I've checked the voltage at the plug for the headlights at the oem plug. Same thing-hi beam gets power but nothing on the low beam side. I've checked both fuse boxes for fuses or relays that pertain to headlights, but can't find any. I'm new to jeeps, and i find them easy to work on, but, this problem is stumping me. Does anyone know if there is a relay or fused circuit that controls just the low beams. I've searched high and low for sites that have this info and nothing...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
If you're getting voltage to the low-beam connector at the headlights and the high beams work ok, you might just have both low beams burned out. I can remember at least two threads in recent years where both low beams burned out. Not both at the same time, they burned out separately, but it took the second low beam burning out before it was noticed. There is no relay in the headlight circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the super quick reply. I get power at the factory headlight plug only on the hi-beam side.. Low beam is not getting voltage.. Thats my problem froze my buns today trying to troubleshoot this problem.. I completely disconnected the change over modules to isolate it from the vehicle. Went direct-same problem. I'm praying that i don't have a broken wire from the switch to the plug somewhere.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
As Jerry said, there are no relays & the same fuse is used for high & low beams so if the high beams work you are good there. If you have 12v power coming from the multifunction switch on the column at pin 16, a violet/white wire & nothing at the OEM plug for the driver’s side there has to be a break between the switch & plug. Be sure to carefully check the connector at the m-f switch for melting or any signs of excessive heat. That is a known problem area. Also, usually broken/corroded wires are in the open, engine area rather than in the cab.

If not at the m-f connector there are 2 connectors in that run which would be the place to start. Again, the wire you are looking for is violet/white. The easier one to find & check is along the inner fender more or less near the master cylinder. Find the violet/white wire & see if you have power on either side of that connector. If yes, the break is past there going to the light plug. If going in but not out from the connector there could be a bad connection where they connect in that connector.

If dead coming into that connector go to the other connector which is the big yellow 40 pin connector in the kick panel & check there the same way. It is not easy to get to it & checking wires on both sides is even worse even in good weather so hopefully you will have found the problem before getting to this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MRRUBI4MYMRS,
I thank u very much for ur help.. I was thinking more or less along the same lines. Just wasn't sure which wire pertained to the low beam. You have been extremely helpful with your info. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. This world surely has good people. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts