Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Relatively new to the forum, but not new to Jeeps. Picked up this sweetheart of an ’04 LJ back in early March, and figured I’d post up some of the modifications I’m doing in case it may help someone else. Nothing really new or groundbreaking, but we all like pictures :thumb:

First look:

Pulled my trusty Warn off the shelf and mounted it up on a new winch plate. I may build a bumper sometime down the road, but for now I’m after simplicity and light weight:

With recover out of the way, it was time to address safety, so I bent some 1-3/4” x 0.120” tube:

Some scuffing and prepping, and time for paint:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With that taken care of, it was time to protect the rocker panels. Started with some 2” x 6” x 0.120” box tubing and 1-1/2” x 0.120” tube:

Again with the scuffing and prepping and painting. It’s the prettiest color I have ever seen from a rattle can:

Next up was some altitude adjustment in the form of a recipe I have had great success with for my usage: Rough Country 2.5” coils with Series 2.2 shocks, 1.5” pucks above the front coils, extended front bump stops, 1995 YJ front brake lines, front Currie Anti-Rock, stock front trac bar, extended rear bump stops, stock rear sway bar, stock rear trac bar, and all (8) adjustable control arms. Topping it off is a 1.25” body lift and a 1” motor mount lift:

A little carving of the shock mounting bracket allows just a tad more droop travel:

And here it is wearing the 35” MTR’s on the stock wheels, painted to match the cage and rockers. The springs will settle a good inch based on past experience, so it’s significantly higher now that it will be:

That pretty much brings things up to date. I still have a formidable laundry list of things to do, but all in good time... For now I need to drive it to let the springs settle, and then I will address the belly pan. Then it’s onto gears and lockers and a few other minor tweaks here and there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Brand/code of the paint you used on those sliders please?!?!:drool: Beautiful!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's Rust-Oleum Mettalic series dark silver. Covers extremely well, I can make a can of it go further than any other rattle bomb I've ever used... I was able to put multiple wet/heavy coats on all (5) wheels with a single can. For $6 a can I was hoping it was decent, but it has far exceeded my expectations!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the rock sliders bolted on, put an initial set on the alignment (this will change as the springs settle over the next few hundred miles), and took it out for the inaugural flex test to look at bump stops and clearance issues. What I learned was that the alignment was great, the ride/flex was superb with no clearance problems or binding anywhere, and that my photography skills are simply terrible…

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this weekend was bumper time. I stole a few hours Saturday afternoon, and a couple more today and got it finished up. I didn’t get too many pictures of the initial buildout, but it went similar to the rock sliders, starting with rectangular tubing and some love with the plasma cutter to create an ‘L’ shaped cover for the factory rear crossmember. To that I added some tabs to the bottom to take advantage of the factory threaded hole under the frame, and then I added a receiver hitch and some more 1.5” x 0.120” wall tube for some surface area to act as steps for minion loading:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
So this weekend was bumper time. I stole a few hours Saturday afternoon, and a couple more today and got it finished up. I didn’t get too many pictures of the initial buildout, but it went similar to the rock sliders, starting with rectangular tubing and some love with the plasma cutter to create an ‘L’ shaped cover for the factory rear crossmember. To that I added some tabs to the bottom to take advantage of the factory threaded hole under the frame, and then I added a receiver hitch and some more 1.5” x 0.120” wall tube for some surface area to act as steps for minion loading:
nice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very Nice! Thanks for posting, can't wait to see more!! :dance:

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Nice metal work.
Nice rig!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slowly picking away at some of the punchlist items… With another trip to the Rubicon not far off on the horizon, I’m way behind schedule. At any rate, I spent the last couple of evenings finally finishing up the A-pillar cage tie-ins to the frame. First up was a base plate with welded nuts and two tabs to capture the bushing:

Once that was fabricated and mocked into place, the plasma cutter was commissioned to burn out a couple of doubler plates for the frame, and those were glued into place:

I then relieved a couple of old YJ leaves of their eye bushings, and slid them into a section of 1.75”x0.120” wall tubing, and fit up the frame stand-off section of tubing:

Rinsed and repeated for the passenger side, and called it macaroni. I still need to get all of the correct lengths of Gr8 hardware for the floor plates, but they are in place right now and ready for paint.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Running out of time, so rather than fab my own crossmember/skid plate, I went to the aftermarket and picked up a UCF Extra Clearance piece. Install was brick simple, and I'm happy enough with it that I may not replace it down the road, but we'll see...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts