Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had some new Discount Tire Pathfinder All Terrain 31/10.50R15 tires and wheels installed and took it to another place to align the Jeep. In checking on their fancy digital machine they found the camber to be out of spec. I did not get their measurements sheet, I have asked for a copy.

To repair this they said I needed adjustable ball joints to be installed. The jeep is not lifted. They also suggested changing out both front and rear stabilizer bushings and links, I did re-bush the rear bar and links couple of years ago but will do it again. Been wanting to change the front anyway so I will do that.
The shocks are RS5000X with less than 5,000 miles on them but those don't really affect alignment.

I realize the front axle does not have camber adjustments and the ball joints and unit bearings were renewed by me some 10,000 miles ago. I have not checked the axle for straightness. The steering knuckles show the normal wear from the disc brakes, unsure if they are bent. The old tires looked ok when removed. So the question is depending on how bad the camber is what kind of adjustable ball joints would be required? I suspect the top one would be the adjustable one if I changed them out. The shop wanted $705.00 to do the ball joint work. Thanks for any insight any of you can provide.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If you aren't eating tires and it drives right, tell em to piss off.... they're just mining ur wallet

·
Registered
586 Posts
Camber out of spec? Negative? Positive? Sounds vague. You should be able to tell by looking at the front tires if your camber is that bad.

In some cases, shims can be placed on the knuckle to correct camber off by a degree or two.

$700 is outrageous.

·
Registered
140 Posts
$700 is about right for ball joint work, if they are replacing all of them, not just the uppers. I've not seen many Jeeps with camber issues..(unless the balljoints are completely shot) the main problem is caster that I see everyday. Sounds pretty vague, I'd like to see the printout. If your sway bar bushings are bad, you'd know it, constant poping noise over bumps. Plus you can just look at them and see if it's close to metal on metal action.

I agree with above, if your eating tires fast.. you probably have a problem, if not... Keep drivin

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured I would do the install of the adjustable ball joint if needed, I did the others with a Harbor Freight press as the one I had rented looked like it was extensively used with an impact wrench, torn up threads etc. The HF Press worked, don't think I bent it. Anyway I am awaiting the printout. The desk gal showed it to me but neglected to give me a copy. I will double check the toe in and not worry much about the camber. Thanks for the replies.

Gary K8IZ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts