Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Recent update. I picked up a "project" hard top for my LJ. It's basically just a shell and needed windows, some "light" painting and hinges. But it's a factory hardtop with wiring and doesn't have any cracks or deep scratches. I was able to find color matched spray paint online and will be touching up the paint this week. As well, I used to install auto glass, so I will also be installing the quarter glass and back glass this weekend. The good part is that my LJ had a hardtop from the factory, so I am already wired for it. All-in, the hard top will end up costing about $1300. So a little less than I would have spent for a complete LJ hard top and I got the joy of piecing it together myself. It's the little things in life LOL

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Picked up a rear bumper/tire carrier that needed a little TLC. The bumper was posted on a local forum and I got it for free. The spindle for the carrier looks to have snapped inside the bumper and left a big hole in the bumper. I have been wanting to get rid of my Smittybilt rear bumper for a while and figured this would be a nice little project to test my welding skills. So for now, I just welded a plate over the hole and mounted the bumper on the Jeep. Future plans will be to install a new spindle and put the tire carrier on. Picture below of when I got it, the hole that needed filled and then the hole filled. Still needs some more welding and grinding but I think I did an ok job for my first welding project. And I didn't burn down the house!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Painted the hardtop and installed the windows. All that's left to do is install the rear wiper and its finished!

·
Registered
154 Posts
hard to beat an lj. nice build. heres my p/u conversion...3" lift, some bumper surgery, lighting...impact orange paint and some lighting relocation with mce flatties on the front to come...you got yourself a great jeep there. good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
hard to beat an lj. nice build. heres my p/u conversion...3" lift, some bumper surgery, lighting...impact orange paint and some lighting relocation with mce flatties on the front to come...you got yourself a great jeep there. good luck.

Nice LJ. Cool truck top conversion.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update time. I am planning a trip to Moab for a week in April and thought this would be a good time to have new gears and lockers installed.

Going to Moab has been a dream of mine for about 15 years (I remember reading about it in magazines in high school) and its definitely a bucket list item. Since I have been planning to re-gear since I installed the lift and tires, now is as good a time as any.

I am going with 4.88 gears (since 35's are in the distant future). Since they are already installing gears, I figured why not get some lockers as well? #YOLO

I researched and researched and researched about what lockers to go with and finally decided on Yukon Grizzly lockers front/rear. I don't drive the LJ on the street much and I'm a pretty simple guy, so automatic lockers seemed to be the best option and bang for the buck. I've ran automatic lockers on the street in XJ's and their behavior is "bearable" LOL. I initially looked at Detroit lockers and was ready to pull the trigger, but the Grizzly lockers were about $40 less per axle and seem to have a good warranty.

Gears/lockers should be installed next week and I should have enough time to break them in before the 1,000 mile trek out to Moab in April.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
In preparation of the 4.88 gears and lockers I am having installed this week, I decided it was time to step-up to 35's. I found a local Jeeper with a set of 35" MTR's that was looking to trade for a set of 33's. So I was able to trade my 33" BFG All Terrains for a set of 35" MTR's, straight across. The tread life was about the same, so I figured it was the most economical way of getting 35's. After the 35's were installed, I added some bump stop to keep them out of my fenders at full stuff. Also upgraded the brakes so I can stop these things. Here are pictures of them mounted of this pig

·
Registered
178 Posts
In preparation of the 4.88 gears and lockers I am having installed this week, I decided it was time to step-up to 35's. I found a local Jeeper with a set of 35" MTR's that was looking to trade for a set of 33's. So I was able to trade my 33" BFG All Terrains for a set of 35" MTR's, straight across. The tread life was about the same, so I figured it was the most economical way of getting 35's. After the 35's were installed, I added some bump stop to keep them out of my fenders at full stuff. Also upgraded the brakes so I can stop these things. Here are pictures of them mounted of this pig

Looking great! I have always wanted a set of mtr's but decided to go with the km2's due to their cost new. What did you do to upgrade the brakes and did it help?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Looking great! I have always wanted a set of mtr's but decided to go with the km2's due to their cost new. What did you do to upgrade the brakes and did it help?
Thanks. My two favorite tires are Goodyear MT/R's and BFG KM2's. So either way I was going to be happy. I used Black Magic brake pads and new rotors front/rear. They do help and make me feel like I can actually stop the Jeep if I have to slam on the brakes.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got the LJ back today from the shop. They installed Yukon 4.88 gears, Yukon Grizzly auto locker in the front and an Eaton E-Locker in the rear. Drives great and loving the power I got back.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Nice build! Looks like we both followed a similar path, moving from a TJ to an LJ and moving all good parts in the process.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Recent picture. Towing it out to Moab next week for 4 days of wheeling with some buddies. So now I can check that one off the bucket list. Need to change out my front rotors and put a rear bumper on. But other than that, she is ready for the 1,000 mile trek to Utah.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just got back from Moab. 4 days of wheeling and I had a blast.

We did Moab Rim, Hells Revenge (Hells Gate sure was fun), Fins-N-Things, Steel Bender, Poison Spyder Mesa, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim and Kane Creek.

It was quite an interesting trip though in terms of traction. It was the first time I had wheeled it since I re-geared and locked the axles.

The Grizzly locker in the front made a horrible clicking sound most of the time (not the usual locker clicking sound). The sound finally went away on the 3rd day, but then the front locker would not unlock.

So I was driving around with the front as a spool all day, which made it quite fun to steer. Eventually the locker would make a loud bang and unlock.

This eventually lead to a u-joint failure on the dana 30 that took out my outer stub shaft on the passenger side (locker unlocked with a tire on a rock and snapped the u-joint).

Luckily I was able to pull the shaft and finish "Gold Bar Rim" in 3 wheel drive. I replaced the axle shaft that evening and only lost half a day of wheeling.

On the plus side, the Eaton E-Locker in the rear was fantastic.

Called the shop that installed the lockers and they are going to warranty the Grizzly locker and swap it for an Eaton E-Locker in the front next week. So I will have E-Lockers front and rear and a cool story to tell LOL

Teaser pic below. More pics to come when I have time.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Installed a new Poison Spyder BFH II Rear bumper. In Moab, I had a tire carrier style bumper installed (without the tire carrier) and I slammed it on every large obstacle I went over. Since I carry my spare tire in the rear cargo area, I figured a tire carrier wasn't necessary. So I picked up this Poison Spyder bumper since its high clearance and I don't need a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mods for the near future are listed below. I recently started a handyman business, so free time is becoming limited.

1. Savvy Under Armor Kit (have the skid plate in my possession, along with another 231 transfer case with an SYE already installed). Just need to purchase a new rear driveshaft and adjustable rear upper control arms. I will be installing the kit in stages i.e. putting on the motor mount lift first, then the side braces that go under the body mounts, then replacing the transfer case and installing the rest of the skid plate and control arms. Then measuring for a new driveshaft, ordering it and then installing it. I am trying to pick a time when my jeep can be out of commission for about a week.

2. Gas tank skid plate. Once funds allow and I am still deciding between Poison Spyder and Metalcloak.

3. New rear tires. My front tires have considerably more tread than the rears and wheeling them in Moab took some more tread off the back. Once they go bald, I will pickup two new MTR's and swap the front ones to the back.

4. New black steel wheels. One of my wheels is bent pretty bad, is a pain to balance and the wheels don't match. I will be picking up a set of black steel wheels when I get the new tires.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Got the Eaton E-Locker installed in the front axle. So now I have Eaton E-Lockers front and rear. So now there's a new switch on the dash. Gonna take it out for a shake down run this weekend in Bridgeport, TX. I doubt it will come close to Moab but should still be fun.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Got the Eaton E-Locker installed in the front axle. So now I have Eaton E-Lockers front and rear. So now there's a new switch on the dash. Gonna take it out for a shake down run this weekend in Bridgeport, TX. I doubt it will come close to Moab but should still be fun.

What day will you be in Bridgeport? A few buddies and I will be down from OK on Sunday.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

What day will you be in Bridgeport? A few buddies and I will be down from OK on Sunday.

Saturday.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Recent update: started installing the Savvy Under Armor Kit along with another 231 transfer case with an SYE already installed. I was able to sell my old transfer case the day after I pulled it out for $200, so that offset some of the cost of the under armor, control arms and driveshaft.

I will say that pulling the transfer case out and putting the new one in by myself was a beating. But it's done now!

I have the under armor mounted, but the new adjustable rear upper control arms and driveshaft won't be here until tomorrow. Then all I have to do it set the pinion angle and install the driveshaft.

I think I should have enough exhaust and transfer case linkage clearance, but the instructions say it might be an issue. Once I get it all buttoned up, I might be heading to the exhaust shop and ordering the novak cable shifter kit.

Pictures to come soon.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts