Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do a 3" SL along with a 1 1/4" BL in order to clear 33's. Would like to stick with a 10.5" width tire . What Backspacing would I need to prevent rub and ALSO still remain covered by the stock fenders and flares? I'm assuming I would want a 15x7 or 15x8 rim.

·
Registered
642 Posts
To stay covered by the flares, IIRC, you'll need no less than about 4.5" of BS.
Don't ya hate PA fender laws!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 3 inch lift with 15x8 inch rim with 32's. my backspacing is 4 inches and they stick out maybe an inch or less without going out and actually measuring.
you should get 15x8 for sure.

·
Registered
642 Posts
To stay covered by the flares, IIRC, you'll need no less than about 4.5" of BS.
Don't ya hate PA fender laws!!
With 4.5" BS will they rub at all?
That I am not positive of.
Seems like it'll be close, as Bob's 5" rubs and I would guess Crumb's 4" doesn't.
Would depend on the actual width of the tire on the rim.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crumb, what width are your 32's? 10.5 or 12.5 or something else?
Pa law says they cant stick out past the flare so I need to clear without rubbing AND remain covered by the flair. I really dont feel like buying new flares right now if there
is a way around it.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Tj here. 3 inch lift. 33s 12.5 on 5 inch BS I rub. I believe 4 inches would work
He's putting on 10.5's.... They should be fine with 5" bs. Stockers have 5.5" bs and most 10.5's don't rub. Depends on the actual width of the tire. If they rub at all it'll be up front at full lock, just add a washer or two to the steering stops if needed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Crumb,
What BS are your wheels and how wide are they? I'm guessing 10" or not much BS looking at your pics. That's why they stick out.

I ran 32x11.50's on 15x8 wheels w/ 4.5" BS and had only a very slight rub at full lock and that was only on one side. As for hitting the flares, (Rubicon flares) I didn't even come close. I have 33x12.50's now on the same wheels and still don't hit the flares. I have a lot more rubbing though at full lock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm looking to do a 3" SL along with a 1 1/4" BL in order to clear 33's. Would like to stick with a 10.5" width tire . What Backspacing would I need to prevent rub and ALSO still remain covered by the stock fenders and flares? I'm assuming I would want a 15x7 or 15x8 rim.
To the OP, going with such a narrow tire, the 4.5" BS won't give you any problems rubbing. If you have the Sahara/Rubicon flares your tires will be covered. With the standard flares, it might be close. Does just the tread have to be covered or do they want the whole tire covered as well?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Does just the tread have to be covered or do they want the whole tire covered as well?
It's supposed to be just the tread, but sometimes ya get a picky LEO who seems to not like Jeeps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jason how much wider are the rubicon flares? I have a stock LJ. I think I'm gonna run 33x12.5x15 duratracs on 15x8 wheels with 4-4.5 B.S . Not really seeing 33" duratracs in a 10.5 width.

Sound like it will work with the 3" SL and 1.25BL ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Rubicon flares are 1" wider than standard flares. I don't think you'll be able to run 33x12.50's with just Rubicon flares. Just the tread on mine sticks out almost an inch. Not to mention the "buldge" of the sidewall. I don't have any great pics to show you, but maybe these will help.

As for the amount of lift (4.25") that's plenty! IMO, it's too much. The most I would run with 33's would be 3"-3.5". In my pics I have 2" in the rear and about 2.5" in the front. There are a LOT things to consider though: I don't have a back seat or a hardtop and I have a winch weighing down the front. (I'm actually running 2.5" springs and a 1" spacer in the front)

From my experience, a 2" lift, Rubicon flares, 32x11.50's, and 4.5" BS is what you should use.

The DuraTrac's are GREAT tires, although I haven't tried them in snow. The only negative I've found so far is sand. Others haven't had any problems, but I was playing in a sand pit the other day and easily got stuck in 2wd several times. No problems at all getting out once in 4wd though. I'd buy them again in a second, if that tells you anything.

I agree with the others, it'll be hard to only spend $400 on tires... even if you don't buy a spare. For that price you're going to have to start looking at "off" brands. Take a look at the tread of all the good name brand tires. You can tell just by looking at them how good they'll be. If it looks like a street tire, it won't be good off-road. Decide what kind of tire you want (mud tire, all-terrain, etc) then go by your local tire store and tell them what you want and you're on a tight budget. They can show you some off-brands.

Sorry I got so long winded. If you want, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone # if you want more detailed info.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
whoa whoa whoa....back the truck up!:) I'm not on a tight budget and DEFINITELY not looking to spend $400 on tires....more a like a $1000 +. You must have my thread confused with another one you read. I'm not going to be doing anything more than some rough dirt roads or fire trails in the near future. I do however want tires that are excellent in snow and I know that the duratracs have an Extreme snow rating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
whoa whoa whoa....back the truck up!:) I'm not on a tight budget and DEFINITELY not looking to spend $400 on tires....more a like a $1000 +. You must have my thread confused with another one you read. I'm not going to be doing anything more than some rough dirt roads or fire trails in the near future. I do however want tires that are excellent in snow and I know that the duratracs have an Extreme snow rating.
LOL!. Yes, I got this thread confused with another one. Sounds like the DuraTrac's would be perfect for you. There a huge thread on jeepforum.com if you want to do some more research on them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts