Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first jeep. I've been driving standards all my life, but am having a little problem getting the hang of this one. I wanted to check and be sure it's me instead of the jeep. It's a 2005 six cylinder, 6 speed manual. Sometimes when I ease out the clutch the jeep will start loping until I push the clutch back in. It'll also start doing it a slow speed. I understand the mechanics of a manual drive vehicle, but I've never had this much problem getting the feel for it. The jeep starts, idles, and runs fine. I drove an 18 wheeler once that acted the same way when I tried to take off, and it was a matter of getting used to it. I want to be sure that's the case with this one. Thanks much! Oh yea, I've had the jeep two days.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
You're talking about it "bucking" on take off right? Happened to me when I first started driving it, but it was my first ride AND first time to drive stick shift. Doesn't happen anymore. Might have something to do with the soft gas pedal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, yea I think I just need to get more used to it. I love the jeep! Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
No problem, I'm sure it'll get better in time. If not, maybe just get a stiffer pedal. And if you like it now, just wait till the top and doors are off :thumb:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
bjs193 said:
My first jeep. I've been driving standards all my life, but am having a little problem getting the hang of this one. I wanted to check and be sure it's me instead of the jeep. It's a 2005 six cylinder, 6 speed manual. Sometimes when I ease out the clutch the jeep will start loping until I push the clutch back in. It'll also start doing it a slow speed. I understand the mechanics of a manual drive vehicle, but I've never had this much problem getting the feel for it. The jeep starts, idles, and runs fine. I drove an 18 wheeler once that acted the same way when I tried to take off, and it was a matter of getting used to it. I want to be sure that's the case with this one. Thanks much! Oh yea, I've had the jeep two days.
One thing I love about manuals is each one is a little different. I like to just use the clutch no gas to learn the clutch tension and eng. drop. Also jeeps being a truck the tranny setup is different than cArs as far as gearing and slip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts