Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the Gearbox on my 2005 TJ from a six speed manual to a five speed, what else would I need to do? (Axle re-gearing,etc)

New to the Jeep fraternity and need some technical help.

Thank you.

Ron

·
Registered
241 Posts
I actually did this swap over the summer! I have the 2.4L. I'm not sure if you have the 4.0. But either way. Your gonna need the correct bell housing I recommend going back to 03 or 04. Also you will need the clutch kit for the year of the five speed. It should come with a pilot bushing. It's not the same as the six speed one!!!! You will need to remove the flywheel and press out the pilot bushing. And the bushing with the kit presses into the rear of the crankshaft That will give the Clearance for the longer input shaft on the five speed. I also ground down about an inch of the spline on the input shaft. Just to be sure of clearance through the flywheel
Finally I had to get a slave cylinder for the year of the five speed.
If you have the 4.0. Try to find an NV 3550
If you have a 2.4 look for a NV 1500

And you should not have to regear. I actually gained top end on the high way and a bit of low end torque
I hope this helps and feel free to ask any thing else about true project

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
56cj5 Thank you for your response.

I have a the 4.0, the garage have found an NV3550 from a low mileage 2004 model with all the associated parts. But they are telling me I need to go to 410 gearing in both axles at a cost of $630 (Omani Rial 240) just for parts to re-balance the drivetrain and get the most from the set up. I have Dana 44 axles both front and rear and just wondering are they just trying it on or do I really need to re gear the axles. Would there be any benefit from from changing the gearing in the axles? or should I just get them to source a six speed gearbox?

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
ron karby: do you have a rubicon with the d44 front? if so you already have 4.10 gearing. no you don't need to swap gears just to swap trannies.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm not sure you will notice much difference With the axle gearing. And with actually having a functional transmission you will enjoy driving again so you won't really notice Thats what I found anyway!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ohh and I didn't rebalance anything and every thing is just fine... Every thing as far as the transfer case and driveshafts bolted up perfectly as well as trann mounts and skid plate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts