Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about thirty mins of driving tranny "slips" out of top gear and starts revving higher than normal, around 3200RPM at 40MPH I assume slips back to next gear.

This morning running on highway RPM was around 1500 at 60mph Engine was not sluggish.

When the gears slip the engine light comes on, if I turn off JEEP and restart it works fine.

Engine error code that comes up is P0700

Any help would be great

·
Registered
101 Posts
mine did almost the same except it shifted into safe mode and no one could figure it out even the dealer except one mechanic it was the computer was bad

·
Registered
217 Posts
I recently had my 05 LJ slip out of OD and into 3rd on a road trip. With a tail wind it would go back into 4th, but even going up an overpass, it would shift to 3rd to keep up to speed. Seemed very underpowered as well. It did not go into limp mode (which should throw a check engine light). All said and done, my tranny got too hot, the clutch plates were worn and slipping and I had to do a complete rebuild :(.

I did a lot of reading and found a lot of the time one of the solenoids could go bad causing it to do lots of weird things. I replaced these first hoping for a fix, but had no improvement, hence the full rebuild. I have also heard of the TCU (transmission control unit) going bad, but I think it is integrated with the ECU, and isn't a very cheap fix.

It sounds like since yours was acting weird, then being okay, you should do the normal checks:

-check the fluid level, color and odor

-check the electrical connections to the transmission (could get water or dirt in there)

-see if you can pull any transmission codes with an OBDII scanner

-there are normally transmission places that will do free diagnostics (but beware of thieves!!)

Hope some of this is helpful. Having just spent close to $2K on mine, I know it can be extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been having issues with my 2004 TJ. Run it to town and shut it off, to get some Dunkin Donuts coffee and come back to the jeep. Take a hit of your coffee and start it up, drive away. Engine light comes on and it's in limp mode. The jeep runs fine until it gets shut off. Once it cools off, it will run good again. Sometimes when stopping at a red light, it will idle a about 300rpms. Slip it to neutral and back into gear and the idle goes to 500rpms.
I used my code reader and it came up with P0605. TCM read only memory fail.
The on board code 0700 indicates lack of communication of transmission.
It only does this when the engine compartment gets hot. Normal running temp. If I use it and never shut it off, there will be no error or limp mode. Any thoughts would be helpful. A new TCM is $450.00
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
My 42RLE chatters when the engine is lugging from 45-65MPH. Doesn't do it all the time either. Hasn't thrown a code or gone into limp mode. Hoping a flush fixes it or im going to be doing some troubleshooting. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts