Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ever since I've owned this jeep (about 1 1/2 years) it's made a ticking in two different areas.

1.) Light ticking near valve cover, above intake manifold. Now this could quite possibly be an exhaust leak but who knows.

http://youtu.be/VbLOUYfDlW4

2.) Loud ticking coming from under the jeep, primarily near the very top of the transmission. Happens during idle but mainly after car has thoroughly warmed up. The sound seems to vary with the RPM.

http://youtu.be/txtcg_poloA

-- Other: In the second video you can clearly see the PO welded on the tranny, why you ask? I have no clue. It just looks sketchy.

Hopefully the videos will help you guys, I apologize for the terrible quality or if the links don't work just let me know.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
4.0s are noisy. I have a tick in mine and I think I see a tick thread pop up every other day. Im pretty sure its normal. I got my tick to go away by mixing in slightly thicker oil.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to own a 2002 and it never made such a loud tick from the tranny. I know it's pretty hard to hear in the video because my fan so dang loud lol.

But the noise in video 2 (tranny tick) does go away when I press the clutch in. Soon as I come out of gear and in neutral the tick will start out faint and within about 10 seconds is so loud the car next to me could probably hear it lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shameful bump.

Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have an 04 and I have a similar sound when in neutral with the clutch out, it isn't as loud as yours but it goes away as soon as the clutch is pushed in and for some reason gets even quieter when I put it in a gear with the clutch in. I know a guy who owns a 97 tj and he owns an auto repair shop and he said to not worry about it. He said wranglers are loud and the have minimal sound proofing so there will be noises that can be heard from in the cabin that may sound odd. Just turn the radio up :)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Sounds like exhaust leak to me. Mine had a similar sound until last week when I replaced the cracked exhaust manifold. Use a really good light under the Jeep and with the engine running check the area where the header pipes meet at the collector and see if you can spot exhaust coming out. Mine had also been cracked higher up on one of the center tubes and had apparently been welded by the PO...it was cracking again also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts