Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I’m reading says that the 2005 TJ’s have a 19 gallon gas tank, and I’ve been calculating my mpg on this last tank (my first fill-up since getting it).... I waited until my gas light came on and filled up today and it only filled up 14.2 gallons. It was definitely full because the tank actually overflowed before cutting off. Any ideas why it would only be 14.2 gallons instead of the 19 that is the standard tank size for my model? That makes me think it’s a 15 gallon tank, but everything I can find says 19 gallons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that I think about it, I guess it could’ve went another 55 miles after the light came on (making it 19 gals). My mpg was 11.3, but that seems like a lot of miles to run on empty. Maybe not, though. My daily driver (Ford Explorer) comes on with 50 miles left, so I guess it’s not out of the question that I still had 5 gallons left.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah, the light comes on with about 5 gallons left. I've bottomed out the needle and still had about a gallon and a half.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
According to the Owner's Manual:

Low Fuel Warning Light

When the fuel level reaches approximately 2 U.S.Gallons (7.6L) this light will come on and remain on until fuel is added. The “Low Fuel Warning Light”may turn on and off again, especially during and after hard braking, accelerations, or turns. This occurs due to the shifting of the fuel in the tank.

Fuel Gauge

The pointer shows the level of fuel in the fuel tank. When the fuel gauge pointer initially moves to E, for your safety, approximately 2 U.S. Gallons (7.6L) of fuel remain.

With both my '01 TJ and my '05 LJ the low fuel light has come on fairly consistently when 5.1 gallons remain. I would suspect however that the 2 gallons (actually 2.375) referenced in the owner's manual was determined with the tank on level ground and stable. 5.1 gallons is just low enough for sloshing of the fuel to set off the warning indicator.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It holds 19 gallons when you run out of gas.

·
Premium Member
8,468 Posts
^ This.

While I have never run out of gas in my TJ, I have run it down past the point the light comes on. I did manage to put 17.3 in my tank once.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts